• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

F80DT PLL Lock Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

baldbrad

Feed Provider
I've got an F80DT that I bought from the VA (where I still work, so I still use it for that) that seems to have an issue locking up at higher frequencies.
Both of our repeaters are around 408MHz, so the radio is obviously a 400-470 split radio, but it won't lock up above about 452MHz...

This is annoying, as we have two commercial repeaters in the 464MHz band at our outlying clinics... When I have to travel to one of those clinics, I have to swap radios...

Any ideas on why the PLL won't lock on this above 452?

We don't have any more, I managed to get my hands on one before they were sent off to be surplused...
I have an F70D as well, so at least I had a charger and programming cable already. :)

Software version is V3.1 with P25 version 3.0u

Thanks

12dbsinad

I'd be willing to bet your radio is a 380-450 split. Try punching in a freq lower than 400 mhz and see if it locks.

baldbrad

Feed Provider
Yup. I got down to 374 before it unlocked again...
What is this 380-450 split? I can't find any info on it...
(I assume it's not something I can undo, either...)

12dbsinad

It's a FIPS radio (designed for government) that is in the 380-450 split. Wasn't geared to sell to the general LMR user on the UHF band.

If you have some alignment skills and the proper equipment, you can bring it up a little bit, but I doubt you'll be able to do your 464/469 stuff.

baldbrad

Feed Provider
Since I bought it from the government, that makes sense... :-|
I've got the tools (SM, scope, meters, etc.), but moving the range 20MHz does sound like a bit of a stretch...

For the hell of it, is there an alignment document available? (I've got the adjustment software, but I've never used it)

12dbsinad

For the hell of it, is there an alignment document available? (I've got the adjustment software, but I've never used it)

As was posted, the service manual does. That one doesn't cover your FIPS radio (freq split) but would be very similar. Just be very careful, you can screw up a radio REAL fast in the adjust software.

You'd be better off finding a 400-470 split. You'd be golden then..

baldbrad

Feed Provider
I'm not going to try it, as it looks like, reading the service manual, that it'd be really easy to bollocks it all up. I just bought a 403-470 split on ebay for $200...

I haven't decided whether to hang onto the other one or not... it's good for our government freqs and 70cm, so I might just get another charger and hang on to it.

baldbrad

Feed Provider
OK, I have a new F80 with the proper split.
However, even though it has the P25 board (I checked), P25 doesn't work, and no mention of the P25 board is shown when I hold P0/P3 at powerup for version info.
Is there something I need to do differently with this to make it work? (It always just worked on the FIPS radio...)

12dbsinad

Probably needs the factory activation software to work (EX-2785 J01 upgrade).

Those radio came in three flavors:

1) Analog only. No UT-120 board. Upgrade possible by adding board and activation software.
2) P25 ready. Has the UT-120 but does not include the activation software (thus digital won't work unless software is purchased).
3) P25 activated from the factory.

Status
Not open for further replies.