• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

ASK/Astro XTS3000 CPS Key Loading Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

evfd1625

Trying to load an ASK into Astro XTS3000 CPS with a USB ibutton reader and keep running into problems. Using a Win 98 SE system, we can load the Maxim legacy drivers, the Maxim utility recognizes the dongle but when attempting to load the ASK it fails. When attempting to configure the key manager, only parallel is allowed, USB is greyed out. This happens on an XP system too. Anyone have any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

evfd1625

Update, Win 7 will load the ASK for Astro 25 CPS, but not for the Astro XTS3000 software. The key manager in the older software has both USB and parallel available, just can't get the keys to load.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Run the program as Administrator. The old Astro series software won't see the USB port unless you run it as an Administrator.

evfd1625

Ok I'll give that a shot tomorrow. Will a parallel reader work regardless?

akardam

What version of Astro Portable CPS are you using? My memory is telling me that there was an ASK format change sometime after R05.02.00 was released, hence one of the reasons R05.03.00 was released subsequently. I recall running into this during an 800 MHz rebanding project.

evfd1625

No luck with admin. The software will read an ibutton with a flash upgrade key, but not the system ASK. A local MSS had what they called legacy system keys but they have all expired is what I was told today.

trooper890

legacy key

Newer ds1996 ask keys created with APX AKA can't be read/used in Astro CPS.

Believe you need an older 1994 ibutton, created in the Astro25 AKA to work with 3000.

evfd1625

That would be the problem then. I don't know if the state will issue those out. We've got a request in. Maybe someone in Indiana has an older ASK to program the 3000s with we can bring the radios and authorization letter.

johnoconnor98

Premium Subscriber
If the iButton is made (or maybe even just read) with the new AKA, it makes it unreadable by the XTS3000 CPS.

I had to buy a blank iButton, load the older XTS3000 Advanced Key Administrator and created the daughter key with the older AKA. The XTS3000 CPS reads it fine and we can program radios all day.

I keep that iButton locked up so nobody touches it with the new APX software by mistake. I don't even know if you can get the older iButtons anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.