• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX 4500 Shuts Down once switched to Trunk

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an APX 4500 I’m using to provide a fees for our new system. When I’m not on the system and I’m in conventional banks the radio is fine. As soon as I switch over to trunked banks on the system the radio with indicate it’s transmitting or sending data and shut off.

Has anyone had this issue or heard of it and know the cause and hopefully the solution?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MSS-Dave

If it shows a red transmit light then shuts down it is probably proof that the radio is inhibited in the trunk system. You need to check with the system administrator to make sure the radio is programed with a valid ID.

It was a year ago when pulled out of my truck, it’s to the point now where it won’t stay on as soon as I get it switched over

MSS-Dave

It was a year ago when pulled out of my truck, it’s to the point now where it won’t stay on as soon as I get it switched over

If you're saying it won't work at all on the trunk radio system but it works correctly and properly on the conventional channels then it is definitely being inhibited.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Do you ever transmit on the conventional frequencies?

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
If it shows a red transmit light then shuts down it is probably proof that the radio is inhibited in the trunk system. You need to check with the system administrator to make sure the radio is programed with a valid ID.

If it was inhibited, he shouldn't be able to power it up again. If it's denied access, I believe he would get a NO COMMS fault.

I would guess a bad battery and the attempts to affiliate are killing it.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
To me, it sounds like a weak battery. We get that from time to time on our system where as soon as a radio tries to affiliate, the current draw from the radio transmitting exceeds the batteries capacity and the radio powers down. Try to transmit on a conventional channel and see if it powers down. If it does, then you need a new battery.

If a radio is inhibited, then it will appear dead on all accounts. No display, no LEDs, nothing.

It’s on a power supply. I’m using it as a deed radio now. I can TX no issue on a conventional channel. Like I said as soon as I switch over the radio keeps shutting on and off.

MSS-Dave

If you can transmit okay on conventional then it looks like I'm still leaning toward some sort of an affiliation problem in the system. Kind of an odd issue the way you describe though.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Maybe the trunking personality is set to high power and the conventional set to low power?

MSS-Dave

Another thought. I believe you're using this as a feed radio correct? Are you using a magnet mount antenna close to the radio? If you are there could be high RF feedback causing the radio to shut down. That should occur on conventional as well though....

ipfd320

Banned
it sounds like the Radio is Going Into STUN Mode when its in the Trunk System Mode ---I Had the Same Problem with an 800 Trunking Radio---After turning it off and back on the radio would stay on for about 30 seconds and shut down----i would lean more toward the stun area---the system is not recognizing the radio in question and sending a signal back to shut it down

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
it sounds like the Radio is Going Into STUN Mode when its in the Trunk System Mode ---I Had the Same Problem with an 800 Trunking Radio---After turning it off and back on the radio would stay on for about 30 seconds and shut down----i would lean more toward the stun area---the system is not recognizing the radio in question and sending a signal back to shut it down

ipfd320 i was also thinking the same the radio has been BRICKED or STUN Mode my question does the radio have a valid ID.?????/

That's not how inhibit works on Motorola radios. Once it's inhibited all visual functions cease. If it was bring inhibited he couldn't switch back to conventional and have it magically work again.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar

That isn't how it works in an Astro 25 environment. I login to RCM, set the radio ID to inhibit. The action shows as "successful" if you're radio is registered in the HLR. If not, then we set the command to "passive" and as soon as the radio does attempt to register, the zone controller sends the INHIBIT command and the radio is bricked. And only the system that initiated the inhibit can unbrick it, or it goes to "the depot".

The radio becomes a dead brick with no ability to operate it at all. If connected to CPS, it will read but be in an inhibited state, with an error message instructing the user to have it unihibited by the console, or to go to the depot. At which point, an RCM user can either reverse the command in RCM, or just send a new command to uninhibit at which point the radio will respond to an OSW with the command and the radio will acknowledge, process it, and come back to life.

What the O/P is describing is some other behavior, most likely a power supply/RF feedback issue. Is the antenna near the power supply?

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Your power supply is not providing sufficient AMPS for the TX of the radio. On radios such as the old Spectra and Astro Spectra, when you power up on a 1AMP power supply or such, the radio will blink red TX, then immediately shut down and repower up again...cycle repeats unless you can quickly switch to a conventional personality before the radio tries to affiliate. I am not familiar with APX4500 power up after loss of 12v, but if the radio dies instantly as it TX's, and doesn't blink, then wait a few milliseconds, then shut down, it's your power supply. If you want to confirm this, try TX on a conventional test frequency...if you don't have a mic attached, program the conventional MDC1200 to send a radio page or similar, something to get some TX out of the sucker.

Paul

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
I agree with Paul as well. Sounds alike a power supply issue and one I have experienced as well when I once tried to run a 45w Spectra off of a 7 Amp power Supply. Didn’t work too well!

masstech

Batteries should not be spoken of in this thread. This is a mobile radio, not a portable one.

Based on your location, perhaps the system this radio is configured for is: https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=7489

In which case, the radio will do anywhere from 1-30/35W for 700/800.

You should confirm your power supply can supply at least that, and then some.

Then you should check antenna installation and placement.

Status
Not open for further replies.