SMART Train NXDN

Status
Not open for further replies.

whatWhy

Yes smart train is on NXDN.
use either a sdr or at the moment whistler scanner only.

kma371

QRT
Good afternoon. I'm tying to listen to SMART Train Communications. According to Radio Reference it is NXDN.

I think I'm listing to a control channel and that is is NXDN 48 - Correct me if you think differently. Sample of what I'm talking about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mn-f_Ko9LIo&feature=youtu.be

Any more information this would be appreciated.

You are listening to SMART, but they are conventional not trunked so it's not really a control channel is that sense. I think it may be some kind of polling data. All of their frequencies transmit like that periodically.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Beacon for the Site Roam function. Their radios will automatically change repeater sites depending on the received signal strength.

Otherwise you should receive them in the clear on any mountain top you choose with NXDN.

vraho10

Okay

Hey, thank you all for your help. I'll try an SDR connected to a 30ft high 70cm/2m antenna. For software sould I use DSD+ to decrypt the NXDN protocol?

vraho10

Got it to work! Thank you all for helping me figure out what to do!

I got a $5.00 MCX to SO259 connector from amazon - works great. Plugged it in to the 30ft 70cm/2m antenna I have and now I can hear stuff from SFO to Ukiah. That $5 cable helped 1000%.

Figured out how to run dsd and select the audio inputs/outputs. Now I can listen to SMART.

Side note: I like how non digital communications sound - maybe if I had a better setup like a Kenwood/Icom NXDN radio it would sound better.

Time to take his project on a raspberry pi.

Once again - Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.