• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Federal Signal Informer - Night Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

cw212017

Hi all,

Long time reader, first time poster.

Comms tech by trade but first time installing a fire station alert system. System is up and running and works as required, however I wanted to obtain advice on installing a switch for the dorm room speakers for night hours.

It runs through a 70v system and obviously if I just install a switch it will mute all traffic and tones. What is the typical circuit for this?

First thing that came to mind is an audio relay from one of the outputs?

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
This is a common (almost universal?) practice, so I wouldn't be surprised if the capability is already part of the Federal alerting device. If the receiver / decoder has selectable outputs bulit-in, just use the decoded audio at night and the normal monitor audio during the day.

If the above isn't an option, probably the easiest way is to use the tone-activated audio for the night hours and the normal receiver audio for the working hours. Seems like a common DPST or DPDT switch could select one audio pair or the other to be routed to the amplifier input.

There should be no need to fool with the 70v line... you should be able to do this by working only with the inputs.

John AC4JK

NC4AB

Premium Subscriber
Assuming you are using one of the Informers with the audio / relay option use monitor button on the Informer to control the audio output which provides the day / night function ( with proper programming of the Informer).

As Chief 21 mentioned you can also feed the audio from another radio through one of the relay contacts on the Informer to the amplifier and parallel the relay contact with a spst switch to provide a day / night switch.

Last edited:

kb4mdz

Tell us a little more about how it is all set up. Are you using a Federal Informer as your alerting RX, or something else? Last time i messed with Informers i think audio was able to be routed thru one set of the relay contacts, and the other set used to trip the lighting circuit.

In my setups i used one radio (CDM1250) as an alerting radio, piped thru the station, and a second CDM1250 as a Monitor radio to hear all traffic on the channel, also piped thru the station, separate circuit, so they can hear if adjacent houses are dispatched and they might be callled to provide coverage. The Monitor audio i provide a switch to turn its audio off in the dorms at night. Usually someplace like the captain's office.

kb4mdz

cw212017 -

Did you get your question answered yet? I've been following this thread but haven't seen you respond. And you haven't allowed private messaging to your profile.

ecps92

FYI he can't allow PM's, it is set by the system, after a set number of postings.
Since he has only posted 1 message and not returned since, it will likely take awhile
cw212017 -

Did you get your question answered yet? I've been following this thread but haven't seen you respond. And you haven't allowed private messaging to your profile.

ffexpCP

wizard of odd
Database Admin
Anyone know of a source for software? My dealer has had my order for 3 months now, and I still don't have it.

I already have the cable and an old software version that no longer plays nice with modern computers.

This lack of support is pushing me to gradually switch to unications with amp chargers.

cw212017

Apologies for lack of response - completely forgot about it!

I do like the idea of audio running through a relay - That may be the easiest option. The Informer is currently programmed in such a way that it must be on monitor for tones to trigger. Having it off monitor will not allow it to go off.

I may need to look at programming it again - Can anyone advise?

kb4mdz

Hmmm, been ages since i've been in the software. That being said, it wasn't very sensible in my opinion, either.

Yeah, having to be in Monitor for it to alert is kinda weird, too. That should be corrected.

NC4AB

Premium Subscriber
The only way that I can think of that it would have to be on monitor to decode is that the wrong CTCSS/ DCS receive tone was programmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.