Wake County Sheriff monitoring issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

badmuther

Premium Subscriber
Hello all,

Monitoring Wake County and others with a uniden 536hp and a uniden 396t. I'm noticing on wake county side channels (cid, dv, srt) that I will hear part of the conversation on one of the scanners and another part on the other-even when both scanners are locked on the same channel.

Anybody else experience this and anybody know if there is anything that can be done to fix it?

Thanks.

troymail

Silent Key
I'm not in the area and cannot provide any thoughts specifically but I'm not certain that I understand what you are observing...

The 436 hears a part of the conversation on a talkgroup while the 396 doesn't....

and then the 436 doesn't hear the next part while the 396 does?

Am I getting this correctly?

badmuther

Premium Subscriber
I'm not in the area and cannot provide any thoughts specifically but I'm not certain that I understand what you are observing...

The 436 hears a part of the conversation on a talkgroup while the 396 doesn't....

and then the 436 doesn't hear the next part while the 396 does?

Am I getting this correctly?

Yes,

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
It sounds like both scanners are missing some radio traffic. The talkgroups you label as "side channels" have the ability to use selectible encryption. Could be that one of the parties talking has encryption turned on and another party is talking in the clear. Could be that your location in Johnston Co is just far enough outside the Wake Simulcast that you are not reliably receiving the Wake System. Could be that your delay and hold times set for those talkgroups are too short and as such returning to scanning before the conversation is over with.
Just a lot of variables with the limited info you have provided so far.

Marshall KE4ZNR

badmuther

Premium Subscriber
It sounds like both scanners are missing some radio traffic. The talkgroups you label as "side channels" have the ability to use selectible encryption. Could be that one of the parties talking has encryption turned on and another party is talking in the clear. Could be that your location in Johnston Co is just far enough outside the Wake Simulcast that you are not reliably receiving the Wake System. Could be that your delay and hold times set for those talkgroups are too short and as such returning to scanning before the conversation is over with.
Just a lot of variables with the limited info you have provided so far.

Marshall KE4ZNR

Out of the possible causes you mentioned the first one (encryption) probably plays the biggest factor as the 536hp displayed "encryption" part of the time behind the bottom identifier while I was experiencing the problem.

I'd rule out the second one (distance) as I am close to the garner towers and I've never had an issue hearing anyone else.

I will check the delay and hold times.

Thanks.

BCasto

Premium Subscriber
Strange, I rarely have heard encrypted TGs on Wake Simulcast. That doesn't mean they don't exist or I haven't missed them somehow.

For my scanner set up (996P2, 996XT, etc.) the curious thing I see is the pulsing strength of the signal. While monitoring Wake Simulcast and Viper sites, the meter jumps from 5 bars to none every half a second or so. I don't keep a steady 5 bars on the meter. It doesn't appear I am missing any traffic but I wonder. When receiving Wake Simulcast traffic, the meter stands steady at 5 bars. If this happens, could I experience what badmuther is experiencing?

I am scanning control channel only. I can receive only 1 Wake Simulcast site so I don't have typical simulcast issues (or at least I don't think so). I am using Uniden provided back of scanner antennas. The scanners are within 6 feet of my PC (length of the programming cable). My shack is on the second floor of my house. Any ideas??

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Strange, I rarely have heard encrypted TGs on Wake Simulcast. That doesn't mean they don't exist or I haven't missed them somehow.

For my scanner set up (996P2, 996XT, etc.) the curious thing I see is the pulsing strength of the signal. While monitoring Wake Simulcast and Viper sites, the meter jumps from 5 bars to none every half a second or so. I don't keep a steady 5 bars on the meter. It doesn't appear I am missing any traffic but I wonder. When receiving Wake Simulcast traffic, the meter stands steady at 5 bars. If this happens, could I experience what badmuther is experiencing?

I am scanning control channel only. I can receive only 1 Wake Simulcast site so I don't have typical simulcast issues (or at least I don't think so). I am using Uniden provided back of scanner antennas. The scanners are within 6 feet of my PC (length of the programming cable). My shack is on the second floor of my house. Any ideas??

Check your Site Hold time:

Easier to Read BCD996P2/XT Digital Scanner Manual

Set Hold Time sets (in seconds) the amount of time the scanner will scan the site before moving on to the next site. If you select 0 for trunking sites, the scanner stays on the site for at least 1 second. The scanner moves to the next site after the hold time expires, any current transmission ends, and the channel delay time expires. The default setting is 2 seconds for each site.
Tip: set your sites to 0.
Scroll to 'Set Hold Time' and press E/.
Enter the hold time (0-255 seconds) you desire and press E/ to save and exit.

Marshall KE4ZNR

Last edited:

BCasto

Premium Subscriber
Marshall, thanks as always. I my situation I am only scanning one site.. I dedicate a scanner to Wake Simulcast. The scanner stays on the active control channel all the time. So would hold time be an issue? Does it make sense to set the hold time to the max amount?

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Marshall, thanks as always. I my situation I am only scanning one site.. I dedicate a scanner to Wake Simulcast. The scanner stays on the active control channel all the time. So would hold time be an issue? Does it make sense to set the hold time to the max amount?
If you are sure you will be ONLY scanning Wake and nothing else then set the hold time to the max.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.