TRX-1: EZ Scan Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I hate asking a question I already think I know the answer to, but I will ask it and hope I am pleasantly surprised..

Is there an Excel-like software clipboard app that will copy and paste information from one Vscan folder to another? Trying out different configurations in EZ Scan for the TRX-1 and it would be nice to be able to do this. I think I read somewhere that Excel does this but I do not have Excel. Any info greatly appreciated!

JD
kf4anc

troymail

Silent Key
I hate asking a question I already think I know the answer to, but I will ask it and hope I am pleasantly surprised..

Is there an Excel-like software clipboard app that will copy and paste information from one Vscan folder to another? Trying out different configurations in EZ Scan for the TRX-1 and it would be nice to be able to do this. I think I read somewhere that Excel does this but I do not have Excel. Any info greatly appreciated!

JD
kf4anc

EZ Scan is pretty restricted on what you can copy/cut and paste.

You can copy and paste individual fields (frequencies, etc.) from external sources like Excel and Notepad, etc into EZ Scan.

You can bulk import conventional channel data, talkgroup information, and radio IDs from a file or the windows clipboard.

However, once in EZ Scan, the only options you have for exporting any of the information is using the File->Save Current Configuration To Archive option and/or simply making copies/zips of the underlying CDAT folders.

kc8tmv

I agree that exporting data (scanlists, etc.) Would be huge. I know I have submitted this as a feature request. I suggest anyone thinking this is a good idea do so as well. Can't hurt!

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

PrivatelyJeff

Has more money than sense
Premium Subscriber
I agree that exporting data (scanlists, etc.) Would be huge. I know I have submitted this as a feature request. I suggest anyone thinking this is a good idea do so as well. Can't hurt!

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

They probably won’t because of the RR integration. They don’t want people using the app to pull data, export it and dump it into other apps.

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
They probably won’t because of the RR integration. They don’t want people using the app to pull data, export it and dump it into other apps.

I just would like to put the data into another vscanner folder. I have a few vscanner folders with overlapping data and would like to sync them.

norcalscan

Interoperating Spurious Emissions
Premium Subscriber
quick rant

Of course, the data that we voluntarily submit, that they turn around and sell for access either by subscription or through hardware that pays a license for the sync integration (I do understand servers and electricity cost money), we are now locked out of from simple export to CSV to build reports or attempt to import into other radios.

This is a major pet peeve of mine with RR. I appreciate the service, I pay for it when I need advanced features, but there's a diminishing point of return in DRM, software copyright, intellectual property protection etc. that is often eclipsed by companies where the protections start to get in the way of the legal paying consumer and no longer protects from those that want nefarious use.

Take EZScan (or any software that syncs with RR now) for instance. In this case, 9 times out of 10, an export of the data is simply to duplicate into another radio of the same brand, model etc. with slight modifications to the programming between radios. So I paid for two TRX-1's, both of which have a cost built in for the RR integration license. Yet I am hobbled by the DRM protections. Put salt on the wound if it's data that I've primarily submitted for free over the last 5 years of an intricate radio system.

Sorry mods, I'll step off the soapbox. Just had a nerve struck. I wish RR could loosen up just a tiny bit in this; giving a little back to the people who have given so much to it. It would go a long way for the radio owners who want to do some advanced monitoring and programming techniques. Even if there's some hidden financial risk to doing this that I can't see, offer a higher priced advanced subscription to cover the dang risk. Many of us would pay in order to save the duplicative labor we put in to advanced programming.

PrivatelyJeff

Premium Subscriber
Take EZScan (or any software that syncs with RR now) for instance. In this case, 9 times out of 10, an export of the data is simply to duplicate into another radio of the same brand, model etc. with slight modifications to the programming between radios. So I paid for two TRX-1's, both of which have a cost built in for the RR integration license. Yet I am hobbled by the DRM protections. Put salt on the wound if it's data that I've primarily submitted for free over the last 5 years of an intricate radio system.

So just sync to one, make whatever tweaks you need and sync the other. I have 2 1095s and a 1080 using the exact same scanlist setups and I have none of the problems you say you do. And you can do what you say you want by being a premium subscriber, then downloading whatever data you want in a CSV file, dump into excel and do what you want to the data.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
I always start with a spreadsheet (Excel, Open Office, etc.). I've set up spreadsheets for EzScan and Sentinel. That way I just import my programming into either software. I always tweak the programming via the spreadsheet so I always have a record out side of the software.

+1 on a premium RR subscription.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I see there is an import feature in TRX-1 EZScan to import from the WS-1065, but the Vscan folders are not compatible the other way around? If they can share in one, what is the problem with the other?

troymail

Silent Key
I see there is an import feature in TRX-1 EZScan to import from the WS-1065, but the Vscan folders are not compatible the other way around? If they can share in one, what is the problem with the other?

I'm pretty sure it is only intended to provide a migration path "forward" from the old(er) model radios to the new ones...

Also, if you could go 'backwards' from the EZ Scan radios to the older non-SD card radios, they'd likely be in violation of RRDB agreements - it would allow free importing of RRDB/library data into EZ Scan to program radios that aren't licensed for it.

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
Use Archive and Restore under the File menu...

I was under the impression that archive and restore use the entire vscanner, cdat, 001, 002, etc. What I need to do is take some conventional frequency records in the cdat and add and/or replace the information in cdat 001.

Since I have conventional frequency records that overlap in my cdat files, I want to sync them (copy and paste from cdat to cdat 001) instead of having to make changes in cdat and then have to repeat the process in cdat 001.

I'm not sure if I'm explaining it properly, so I hope this makes sense.

Thanks,

Rich

norcalscan

Interoperating Spurious Emissions
Premium Subscriber
So just sync to one, make whatever tweaks you need and sync the other. I have 2 1095s and a 1080 using the exact same scanlist setups and I have none of the problems you say you do. And you can do what you say you want by being a premium subscriber, then downloading whatever data you want in a CSV file, dump into excel and do what you want to the data.

That's fair - I forgot about exporting as CSV as a member. Can you assign scanlists in the CSV and import into the 1098, or do you still have to assign them in EZScan? I'd rather spend my time in Excel and avoid the hot mess of EZScan as much as possible. I've got about 2200 conventional freqs and 15 TRS spread across about 115 scanlists for the mobile rig. I've thought about moving my heavy lifting to Excel but I seem to recall I couldn't find a way to set scanlist assignments from the CSV import into EZScan...

edit: I see the option to bring in the scanlist info from a csv. This just might change everything...

Last edited:

troymail

Silent Key
I was under the impression that archive and restore use the entire vscanner, cdat, 001, 002, etc. What I need to do is take some conventional frequency records in the cdat and add and/or replace the information in cdat 001.

Since I have conventional frequency records that overlap in my cdat files, I want to sync them (copy and paste from cdat to cdat 001) instead of having to make changes in cdat and then have to repeat the process in cdat 001.

I'm not sure if I'm explaining it properly, so I hope this makes sense.

Thanks,

Rich
The only option you have for data already in EZ Scan is to make an internal copy and then make your chages.

PrivatelyJeff

Premium Subscriber
That's fair - I forgot about exporting as CSV as a member. Can you assign scanlists in the CSV and import into the 1098, or do you still have to assign them in EZScan? I'd rather spend my time in Excel and avoid the hot mess of EZScan as much as possible. I've got about 2200 conventional freqs and 15 TRS spread across about 115 scanlists for the mobile rig. I've thought about moving my heavy lifting to Excel but I seem to recall I couldn't find a way to set scanlist assignments from the CSV import into EZScan...

edit: I see the option to bring in the scanlist info from a csv. This just might change everything...

Yeah, using excel can be helpful. I once used it to build a custom scanlist to scan for PL tones on a frequency without setting the the tone box to search.

Status
Not open for further replies.