Program for bearcat bcd396xt scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

belashmit

Premium Subscriber
I just recently bought a bearcat bcd396xt scanner. I see a NC viper on it when scrolling on it. I assume these are program sections. I am getting very confused trying to program it. I live in winston-salem NC. I printed out the frequencies but confused on which ones I need to use. Trying to listen to winston-salem police, Forsyth county sheriff's and ems. Would anyone out there in this area happen to have a a program for these?? I have the programming cable that came with it. Just need a zip file to Download into it. If anyone does have one that I could download and try I would greatly appreciate it. My email is belashmit@bellsouth.net if someone can help me.
Thanks
Billy

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Try Freescan or ARC XT (not free). I have that radio, and it is much easier to create a code plug through the software, especially when dealing with the frustrating quick key system.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
That NC VIPER system in the scanner is years out of date and as such probably will not work at all. As others have suggested using one of the available software packages to download updated local radio system info is a must.
Marshall KE4ZNR

I just recently bought a bearcat bcd396xt scanner. I see a NC viper on it when scrolling on it. I assume these are program sections. I am getting very confused trying to program it. I live in winston-salem NC. I printed out the frequencies but confused on which ones I need to use. Trying to listen to winston-salem police, Forsyth county sheriff's and ems. Would anyone out there in this area happen to have a a program for these?? I have the programming cable that came with it. Just need a zip file to Download into it. If anyone does have one that I could download and try I would greatly appreciate it. My email is belashmit@bellsouth.net if someone can help me.
Thanks
Billy

belashmit

Premium Subscriber
Bearcat bcd396xt

Ke4nzr where can I get the software packages to
update the bearcat bcd396at that you mentioned in your post. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Billy

belashmit

Premium Subscriber
Bearcat bcd396xt totally confused

From previous post I understood that I need software packages to update NCAA viper. I am wanting to monitor w-s/Forsyth police and sheriff and ems. After searing the forum I found that w-s/Forsyth is Motorola smart zone trunking system. Not using viper. Forum info shows them Motorola type 'll smart zone.
So now I am totally confused on how to set this up. Is the bearcat bcd396xt have that capability? If so does anymore out there possibly have a program with these counties that I can download into it or where do I start at?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Just getting frustrated.
Thanks Billy

BCasto

Premium Subscriber
If you are a newbie to this type of scanner, trying to read the manual and programming it by hand can be discouraging and frustrating. I have over 10,000 items in my 396XT. Unless you are an engineer with lots of time, the best option is to install a supported software tool (like Proscan, Freescan, etc.) and download the desired agencies / organization info from this site. Once captured on your scanner you can edit and adjust it manually as needed. Of course you will need the programming cable to connect your PC to your scanner. A supported software tool is one that is set up to download frequencies, etc. directly from radioreference.com.

I use Proscan and like it a lot. You can from a drop-down menu in Proscan, select the desired system (agencies / organizations, etc.) from the radioreference site and download them into a file. Once you have the file (or DB if that is the term you prefer) you can upload it to the scanner.

As been said, make sure you have the latest firmware installed on the scanner. You can do a google search to find and download the Uniden tool that allows you to update the firmware. I must admit the first time I did this I was a bit worried I was going to mess something up. But, it all worked out fine. It took me a little while too to understand how to efficiently use the scanner - quick keys, search buttons, etc.

Once you get the scanner all set up, come back to this site and join discussions on antennas, new talk groups, etc. Good luck.

kd8x

download Freescan free at

Sixspot Software

then subscribe to this forum

radioreference.com to get the updates for the agencies that you are wanting to download...it will save you many headaches....

Status
Not open for further replies.