Radio Shack pro 2035 vs pro 2042

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrlthse

Greeting All,
I just purchased a Radio Shack Pro 2035 police scanner, off of Ebay...
I already have the Pro 2042 unit.
Does anyone know what the real difference between the two Scanners units are.
Chris K7CDS
Layton, UT 84041

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
The PRO-2035 display light is green, and the PRO-2042 is amber. Both were manufactured by GRE.

And still great receivers, although they're old enough that they won't accept 7.5kHz split VHF frequencies.

I have a 2035 with the OS535 board and a discriminator tap added, as well as the Programit board; however, for years it's mostly been getting used to scan railroad and aviation frequencies, since nearly everything around me is now P25 trunked.

However, I just recently (finally) got around to playing with DOSBox and discovered that Probe for the OS535 works great on both my Mac desktop or Toughbook laptop. I've since been using the 2035/535 to scan business frequencies, searching out digital business systems. With the discriminator tap plugged into DSD+ it's working just great.

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
The Radio Shack PRO-2042 scanner was reviewed by Bob Parnass in the February 1996 issue of Monitoring Times. The changes compared with the PRO-2035 are essentially firmware changes.

The PRO-2042 and PRO-2035 have the same RF performance, both inferior to the PRO-2006.

The PRO-2042 provides new keystroke sequences not available in the PRO-2035 to sort the channels within a specified bank in ascending or descending order of frequency.

Another PRO-2042 improvement is a memory query feature which indicates if a given frequency is programmed. If one attempts to program a frequency which is already in another memory channel, the PRO-2042 flashes the pertinent channel number.

Unlike the PRO-2035, the PRO-2042 automatically skips empty channels while scanning.

The Auto Store searches between programmable limits and stores active frequencies if they are not already in a memory channel. The PRO-2035 does not check if frequencies are already in a memory channel.

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
Excellent post pro92b, I haven't been able to find that anywhere!

I summarized the information from the review by Bob Parnass so he deserves all the credit for the comparison of the two scanners.

mrlthse

Comments about my new pro 2035

Thank you all for your fine comment on my newest fine on ebay...
I will use this information to do more research and investigations.
Chris K7CDS
Layton, UT 84041

dkf435

I think the 2042 also had a higher scan speed. Back then there was someone bringing boards in from Europe that were open and it may of been mentioned that you could use the 2042 logic boards in the 2035 to gain the speed. Still have the PRO-2035 with the OS-535 that has the firmware that you could enter the code into to override the cell block. Need to do the tap and use it for trunk reading.

David

trp2525

The Radio Shack PRO-2042 scanner was reviewed by Bob Parnass in the February 1996 issue of Monitoring Times...

If you want to read the entire review by Bob Parnass, you can download the February 1996 issue of Monitoring Times here (see pages 108-109): http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Monitoring-TImes/Monitoring-Times-1996-02.pdf

Also Bob Grove did a review of the PRO-2035 in the October 1994 issue of Monitoring Times (see pages 98-99) and that issue can be downloaded here: http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Monitoring-TImes/Monitoring-Times-1994-10.pdf

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I really miss Bob Parnass and Bob Grove! Their knowledge and contributions to the radio/scanner hobby will never be equaled.

trp2525

I really miss Bob Parnass and Bob Grove! Their knowledge and contributions to the radio/scanner hobby will never be equaled.

Amen! I miss them too. I used to look forward to receiving my copy of Monitoring Times every month.

FYI Bob Grove very recently did a review of the Whistler TRX-2 base/mobile scanner in the January 2018 issue of The Spectrum Monitor (see pages 16-17 in that issue).

If you are interested, you can purchase individual issues of The Spectrum Monitor for $3 each and/or subscribe here: https://www.thespectrummonitor.com/

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
If I understand correctly, if you were to pay for a year subscription now you would pay full price and only receive Nov and Dec? In order to receive a FULL year you should wait until Dec/Jan and pay for the full year consisting of Jan-thru to Dec issues? Or am I reading this wrong...

JD
kf4anc

PS/ I reread it and see now that if you pay now you receive all of 2018 back issues, including upcoming Nov/Dec issues. If you pay for a full year you would have to specify 2019 and you would not be able to dl/view the back 2018 issues. Answered my own question

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.