Whistler Scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

wa4dou

Premium Subscriber
Since late Nov., I've purchased and dealt with 7 scanners for myself and others (3 BCD436HP's, BCD996P2, 2-
WS1098's, & TRX1. All easily allowed for firmware and db upgrades, except the 1098's. Both were troublesome with my Win 8.1 computer and I was able to resolve one with my Win 10 computer, reformatting the SD card a couple times, and persistence. The other finally allowed me to upgrade the firmware but I still can't do the DSP upgrade from ver 3.0 to 3.1 because the upgrade screen hangs up in midstream and I can't go forward, back, cancel, etc. Furthermore, at that point, I can't eject that "drive", so I'm forced to just pull the USB cable or power down the computer. I can live with DSP ver 3.0 for now as opposed to ver 3.1. I like each and everyone of these scanners. No axes to grind for either camp. However, I'm not buying the argument that new Sandisk SD cards are wornout. All the major programming/upgrade complaints seem to be in the Whistler camp, not Uniden. Uniden's are using micro SD cards. I think Whistler has a problem with their usb interface, in all likelihood. In any event, I like the actual performance of these brands and models, and I don't think any of them are junk.

wb5nbq

I have a WS1098 and a TRX1 and have not had any problem. The 1098 does use different program from the TRX1 (both are EZ-Scan but there is a 1098 version and a TRX1 version). The only thing that I can think to suggest is to uninstall the 1098 program and then download it for a fresh install from Whistlers web site.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Strange that it it did the cpu firmware but not the DSP.

I would try disabling your antivirus, then a NEW USB cable, if that doesn't work, uninstall and delete the comport driver, then reinstall using the "Allow Unsigned driver process" and start over.

yeg_scan

Other than doing a firmware update .. no need to use the USB at all. I know I never ever do it. Use a SD card reader.

PrivatelyJeff

Has more money than sense
Premium Subscriber
Are you plugging into USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 ports on your computer. There have been reports of it sometimes not playing well with USB 3 ports. Also, firmware and DSP upgrades have nothing to do with the SD cards.

DJ11DLN

I have had intermittent problems getting a 1095 and a 1098 to connect for FW/DSP updates but it always pops by the 3rd try. ASUS laptop with Windows 10. I always use the USB 2.0 port...it will connect on the 3.0 port but due to cautionary statements mostly read right here on RR I've never tried to do an update on that port.

I never connect the scanner just to program the SD card. It's just so much easier and faster to connect it directly to the computer for updates.

wa4dou

Premium Subscriber
Are you plugging into USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 ports on your computer. There have been reports of it sometimes not playing well with USB 3 ports. Also, firmware and DSP upgrades have nothing to do with the SD cards.

I was using the USB 1 or 2 ports, the rectangular ones that match the provided Whistler programming cable. It's my understanding that both USB standards only involve data speed capability and that USB 2 is backward compatible with USB1.

PrivatelyJeff

Has more money than sense
Premium Subscriber
The USB plug form factor is the same, but the speeds at what they work are the difference. The colors of the socket tell you what they are. USB 2 is black and USB 3 is blue.

SCPD

QRT
My sd card was bad,so I replaced it and now I have no issues really with the Sd card read/write of EZscan.

madr68

I have to change my usb cable sometimes, i have so many, i try to use the thicker cable usb cords or I get issues updating or downloading.

Status
Not open for further replies.