DMR Trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubbarx

Hello all,

I have a TYT MD-2017. It is functioning on analog just fine, but I am having trouble with the digital side. As far as I understand, the correct repeater slot, color code, frequencies, talk-groups for the NJTRBO Martinsville repeater are programmed into my radio. I did it myself as I couldn't get the old 380 code-plug they have working in the newer software they have to program the radio, but I have gone over it repeatedly and can't find an issue with my programming. Not sure if there is something I'm missing.

So the issue I'm having is that for the Martinsville repeater, I have the talk groups I want programmed in, I have parrot and audio test programmed, etc. I have can see the radio indicate that it is receiving audio on these channels, and the receive LED on the top goes green like it is receiving, but I am not actually hearing anything. It does allow me to key up on the system talk groups I have programmed in, but being able to key up is kind of useless if I can't hear the audio. I cannot for the life of me figure out what the issue is.

If you have any advice to offer on this issue, please let me know. (No I can't get a Motorola, I wish :p)

Here is a link to the website I used to get my repeater information:
https://www.n2jti.net/

dmaria

Hello all,

I have a TYT MD-2017. It is functioning on analog just fine, but I am having trouble with the digital side. As far as I understand, the correct repeater slot, color code, frequencies, talk-groups for the NJTRBO Martinsville repeater are programmed into my radio. I did it myself as I couldn't get the old 380 code-plug they have working in the newer software they have to program the radio, but I have gone over it repeatedly and can't find an issue with my programming. Not sure if there is something I'm missing.

So the issue I'm having is that for the Martinsville repeater, I have the talk groups I want programmed in, I have parrot and audio test programmed, etc. I have can see the radio indicate that it is receiving audio on these channels, and the receive LED on the top goes green like it is receiving, but I am not actually hearing anything. It does allow me to key up on the system talk groups I have programmed in, but being able to key up is kind of useless if I can't hear the audio. I cannot for the life of me figure out what the issue is.

If you have any advice to offer on this issue, please let me know. (No I can't get a Motorola, I wish :p)

Here is a link to the website I used to get my repeater information:
https://www.n2jti.net/

Do you have a receive group set? Some radios, including the MD-380 do not require a receive group to be set and they will work fine. On the other hand, some radios will not receive any audio if you do not have a receive group programmed. I don't own an MD-2017, but it's something to try.

Bubbarx

Try this.

Interesting, I wasn't able to get the other codeplug they had to work for some reason in the 2017 version of TYT's CPS, but this one did load up.

I still have that issue though. I can key up but no audio no matter what talk-group I try.

Same thing when I try it on other repeaters too.

Last edited:

Bubbarx

Do you have a receive group set? Some radios, including the MD-380 do not require a receive group to be set and they will work fine. On the other hand, some radios will not receive any audio if you do not have a receive group programmed. I don't own an MD-2017, but it's something to try.

I just tried this, it didn't seem to help unfortunately. :(

Try this.

Interesting, I wasn't able to get the other codeplug they had to work for some reason in the 2017 version of TYT's CPS, but this one did load up.

I still have that issue though. I can key up but no audio no matter what talk-group I try.

Same thing when I try it on other repeaters too.

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
Have you verified it is not a speaker problem? Can you hear tones/noise from the radio on power up? Have you tried an earpiece? TT

Bubbarx

Have you verified it is not a speaker problem? Can you hear tones/noise from the radio on power up? Have you tried an earpiece? TT

Yes, tones are all audible, I can hear the key up tone just fine, and it works well on analog channels.

ve3ext

Premium Subscriber
dmr trouble

Had a similar issue this week ., programming an Alliance HD1
Solution was the admit criteria., we needed to use color code !
Just a thought
jerry VE3EXT

Bubbarx

Had a similar issue this week ., programming an Alliance HD1
Solution was the admit criteria., we needed to use color code !
Just a thought
jerry VE3EXT

That is what I thought it was at first, but I have tried multiple repeaters and made sure I had the right color code for each and I haven't been able to get the digital audio. It is really frustrating.

Although in the past I was using my own manual programming, I'm currently using the code-plug provided on the repeater system's (NJTRBO) website, and still am not getting anything.

ve3ext

Premium Subscriber
DMR trouble

I'm not talking about color codes but rather the "admit criteria"

some of the choices are always
color code
??????
Find that area and play., see if any difference.

Jerry VE3EXT

Bubbarx

color code
??????

Jerry VE3EXT

Yeah the admit criteria is set to color code, I suppose I could try to see if setting it to something else helps.

Bubbarx

color code
??????

Jerry VE3EXT

Okay I gave changing the admit criteria a shot on every other option there was but still no luck.

W2PDX

Is your digital contact (talk group number) set-up as a Group Call not a Private Call? If the radio is receiving a signal properly, which it sounds like it is, but not passing audio, then there is something incorrect re: the digital contact.

Bubbarx

Is your digital contact (talk group number) set-up as a Group Call not a Private Call? If the radio is receiving a signal properly, which it sounds like it is, but not passing audio, then there is something incorrect re: the digital contact.

Yeah there are three options, Group Call, All Call, and Private Call, I have it set to Group Call.

There is also an option for Call Tone, not sure what that does, but its set to off.

Something weird happened today. I heard someone key up on North America for a split second and the little phone thing popped up to indicate it was actually receiving a digital transmission. Haven't heard anything since. I've tried other channels but nothing, in a month of messing around with this thing that's the first time I've heard anything. But I haven't heard anything on North America after that, so I have no idea why I heard that random transmission and nothing else.

Bubbarx

Okay guys, so I'm not sure what changed, but I'm receiving SOME audio on NJ-NY Metro. However, it is coming in a bit garbled and incomplete, I am not hearing full transmissions and it is hard to discern what they are saying. Any ideas?

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
It almost sounds as if you're not receiving a digital signal that is strong enough. Are you close to the repeater? Have you received this repeater previously? It's possible that your radio is seeing the signal from the repeater, but the signal may not be strong enough to actually recover the digital audio (garbled / incomplete). Depending on conditions (or your location in the building), sometimes it may work but mostly it doesn't.

Take your 2017 for a short road trip (closer to the repeater) and see if that helps.

John AC4JK

A

AI4LL

Do you have all your receive set to private instead of group?

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Do you have all your receive set to private instead of group?

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk
If set to private, only the same DMR ID can use the spot. If public, any ID can use it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.