• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Stranded vs. solid core?

Status
Not open for further replies.

westcoaster

Other than the physical properties, what's the difference between stranded and solid core coax?
My use is VHF between 150 and 170Mhz in automotive applications.

My current bias is leaning toward stranded core, but that is based on the idea it would be a little more resistant to breaking the center conductor.

Thanks,

cpetraglia

From what I learned in my days as an electrician about how electrons travel, they flow on the outside of the conductor. More conductors, more transfer. I can't swear this theory is the same for a radio signal, but it sure should be.

I am sure there are many here with much more knowledge on this subject.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Google "Litz Wire" for more info. Stranded is more flexible.

12dbsinad

The difference is stranded has a higher loss factor than solid center, it is however more flexible. For lower frequencies it isn't really a bid deal, but anything over VHF-HI it can start to become a factor depending on the length. I personally use RG58/U (solid) for pretty much everything. Never have had problems with the center as long as you do not score it during connector installation (cutting back the dielectric).

z31jaime

Biggest thing is if it is in a vehicle you want stranded for flex. over time the vibration and flex will break down a solid core.

12dbsinad

Under normal conditions solid center coax will outlast the vehicle. At least that's been my experience in my many years.

A majority of antennas use solid center ie: Cell,LTE, 2.4 and 5.8 Ghz, WIFI, etc all use double shielded (usually LMR-195 or equivalent) solid center. The center in that coax is actually much larger in diameter and much stiffer, all designed for mobile installation. If properly installed it really isn't an issue in a normal vehicle.

Last edited:

lmrtek

At vhf frequencies and lengths you will be using, there is no difference

westcoaster

Thanks for the replies guys,

Since it really doesn't make a difference for my short lengths and low enough frequencies, I'll keep buying it when I need it...

as an afterthought based on comments, is there such a thing as a minimum bend radius for solid core? Stranded?
Ok, folding the cable back on itself (kink) is an obvious no go, but is there/what is the minimum radius that should be avoided for both flavors of RG 58

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
as an afterthought based on comments, is there such a thing as a minimum bend radius for solid core? Stranded?

Every coax has a minimum bend radius. It should be one of the listed manufacturer specs.
In general, stranded will be slightly smaller than solid.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
For the cost of RG-58 stranded coax you should cut to length with a little bit extra for a service loop if repairs are needed. I used to roll all the excess from the 17ft that came with the antenna mount, and stuff it somewhere, but cutting to length is much better and neater, as we never reuse coax anymore anyway.

com501

Crimp connectors? Solid core.

Solder connectors? Stranded core.

In mobile installs at VHF there is no real difference except the difficulty of installing the connector.

scottyhetzel

From what I learned in my days as an electrician about how electrons travel, they flow on the outside of the conductor. More conductors, more transfer. I can't swear this theory is the same for a radio signal, but it sure should be.

I am sure there are many here with much more knowledge on this subject.

Video flows on the outside.. solid transfers Better,,, than stranded...there more air gap in stranded..less mass.

prcguy

For DC the current flows through the entire depth of the conductor. For AC, the higher the frequency, the more the current will flow on the outer layers of the conductor. You even see this at audio frequencies where low bass will use more of the cross section of the conductor and highs will migrate to the outer skin.

The skin effect can also cause interesting problems where a steel core copper clad RG-6 will have the same loss at microwave frequencies as solid copper center conductor but a steel core cable will have high DC resistance. In satellite installations where DC is also present on the wire you can have far too much DC resistance in the mostly steel center conductor and the equipment may not get enough DC voltage to operate even though the RF levels are fine. That's why companies like DirecTV specify solid copper center conductor RG6 for powering the remote dish and other electronics.
prcguy

Video flows on the outside.. solid transfers Better,,, than stranded...there more air gap in stranded..less mass.

Rred

I can see someone using copper clad steel core in RG-6 if they were planning to do long horizontal runs in the trees, etc. and wanted the extra strength so the cable didn't stretch out or stress itself. That's a valid use for steel core.

But I'm also seeing a lot of copper clad ALUMINUM core (CCA) in power cord wiring and RG-8 type cables as well. Really nasty when the maker just uses it without warning you, because the DC ampacity is simply not as high as real copper wire, often 1-2 gauge sizes off. And some brand name cable (I think LMR400) comes this way now, presumably because they are rating it for high frequency use, and they aren't concerned about the DC handling in the core.

As they say in south Rome, "Caveat emptor, y'all"

prcguy

Times and all other brands of LMR400 I've seen has a copper clad aluminum center conductor, that's common for most large coax these days because of the high copper cost. Even with aluminum the center conductor size in LMR400 is large enough to handle most any current need you might have running DC on the coax.

Most RG-6 has a steel center conductor mostly for cost and for strength there is a version with an external "messenger wire" for taking the load of an areal cable run.
prcguy

I can see someone using copper clad steel core in RG-6 if they were planning to do long horizontal runs in the trees, etc. and wanted the extra strength so the cable didn't stretch out or stress itself. That's a valid use for steel core.

But I'm also seeing a lot of copper clad ALUMINUM core (CCA) in power cord wiring and RG-8 type cables as well. Really nasty when the maker just uses it without warning you, because the DC ampacity is simply not as high as real copper wire, often 1-2 gauge sizes off. And some brand name cable (I think LMR400) comes this way now, presumably because they are rating it for high frequency use, and they aren't concerned about the DC handling in the core.

As they say in south Rome, "Caveat emptor, y'all"

Status
Not open for further replies.