New Unit Numbers on SHP Troop G TG

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJIComm1

I am hearing new SHP Unit Numbers on Troop G TG on the Viper System

it is GWS(u) with (u) being a number I have looked for this reference but can not find out what division or group it belongs too. Any help will be appreciated

trumpetman

Database Admin
I am hearing new SHP Unit Numbers on Troop G TG on the Viper System

it is GWS(u) with (u) being a number I have looked for this reference but can not find out what division or group it belongs too. Any help will be appreciated
Sounds like the weigh stations finally got VIPER base stations installed. The troop letter, followed by "WS" is the call sign for weigh stations. So FWS# would be troop F like GWS# is for troop G. You'll have to listen out for which number is which scale/direction.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

AJIComm1

Sounds like the weigh stations finally got VIPER base stations installed. The troop letter, followed by "WS" is the call sign for weigh stations. So FWS# would be troop F like GWS# is for troop G. You'll have to listen out for which number is which scale/direction.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Trumpetman One unit number I have heard is GWS8 is the one i recall the most

yardbird

Premium Subscriber
Here is the following:

BWS is the Lumberton Weigh Stations

CWS is the Halifax Weigh Stations

DWS is the Hillsborough Weigh Station

EWS is the Mt. Airy Weigh Stations

FWS is the Statesville Weigh Stations

GWS is both the Asheville and Hendersonville Weigh Stations

HWS is the Charlotte and Gaston Weigh Stations

Troop G has four total weigh stations.

Two in Hendersonville and Two in Asheville.

Charlotte and Gaston Weigh Stations are identified as HWS-1 Gaston & HWS-3 Charlotte

The last time I was in Lumberton they still had an old Aretron Low Band mobile connected to a power supply.

The last time is was in Hendersonville they had a Maxtrac Low Band mobile and power supply.

Troop G Weigh Stations may have been switched to 800 Mhz. because of Low Band being

decommissioned.

Troop H Weigh Stations have Astro Spectra Model A-5 mobiles with power supplies.

I think it mainly depends on the person working if they choose to call the station open and closed either by radio or phone.

I prefer the radio when I check the Charlotte Weigh Station 10-41 or open.

Hope this helps

David

Last edited:

reconrider8

how often are these used? i havnt noticed it on troop c that i know of. of course it maybe on another tower carrying the traffic

yardbird

Premium Subscriber
Most of the time they check to station open and closed.

The traffic all depends on what time the stations open and close.

Halifax may still be using low band radios for the weigh station and haven't switch to 800 Mhz. yet.

Here in Charlotte and Gaston we are open from 5am till 10pm Monday through Friday

I usually check my station open around 4:45am

Then again like I said before it is up to each individual, District 9 First Sergeant or Troop Headquarters

how the station checks on either by radio or phone.

Normally you will not hear any traffic, due to most of the weigh station personnel either call the comm

center or have troopers run tags and information.

Like I said mostly what you will hear is the station checking 10-41 or 10-42

David

kc4wsd

Premium Subscriber
Good morning David,

After reading your post, I started wondering about something. You mentioned the station going 10-41 and 10-42 on the radio, and that makes sense. Other than using low-power portables to communicate from inside the station to personnel outside, maybe across the parking lot, what type of radio traffic would even be heard from the station? I can't imagine there'd be a lot of need for two-way communications from the stations.
Personally, I think it's a great idea to have radios, just can't wrap my mind around what they would be used for in your job. Enlighten me. :)

David C.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

yardbird

Premium Subscriber
There is none.

We being civilian employees are not issued any type of radio.

One time about three years ago I asked for radios and we got old GP-300's that didn't half work. When the

narrowbanding took effect they took them back up and no replacements were issued.

We tried to use them but management had a fit because we were talking on them.

When I started they had old MT-1000's but they were so bad. They had bad batteries and broken

antennas and the state wouldn't replace the batteries or antennas. And there was only one per side.

The only protection I have when I am on the parking lot is a three cell Mag Flashlight.

If we need to talk to or need a trooper one of us has to walk down the parking lot to the troopers vehicle or

call them on their cell phone.

At one time when the Low Band was in the station I called troopers on it. Now with the 800 Mhz. is in the

stations it is seldom used except to check the station open and closed.

All our troopers have APX-6000's portables but only a few gung-ho younger troopers will carry them, but

the older seasoned troopers will not. They stay in the charger burning up the batteries because of lack of

use.

My Sgt has had his radio out of the car one time and brought it to me wanting to know a question about it.

We have no station to parking lot communications. That is why when me or my partner are on the parking

lot we stand at the door watching each others back.

The only portable that has ever been used was when the Highway Patrol had the old Iris Van used to

check brakes years ago it had two portables that was used to communicate from van to troopers in the

station to check trucks that had brakes that didn't work and they were pulled over for a brake check.

I hope this answered your question

David

kc4wsd

Premium Subscriber
There is none.

We being civilian employees are not issued any type of radio.

One time about three years ago I asked for radios and we got old GP-300's that didn't half work. When the

narrowbanding took effect they took them back up and no replacements were issued.

We tried to use them but management had a fit because we were talking on them.

When I started they had old MT-1000's but they were so bad. They had bad batteries and broken

antennas and the state wouldn't replace the batteries or antennas. And there was only one per side.

The only protection I have when I am on the parking lot is a three cell Mag Flashlight.

If we need to talk to or need a trooper one of us has to walk down the parking lot to the troopers vehicle or

call them on their cell phone.

At one time when the Low Band was in the station I called troopers on it. Now with the 800 Mhz. is in the

stations it is seldom used except to check the station open and closed.

All our troopers have APX-6000's portables but only a few gung-ho younger troopers will carry them, but

the older seasoned troopers will not. They stay in the charger burning up the batteries because of lack of

use.

My Sgt has had his radio out of the car one time and brought it to me wanting to know a question about it.

We have no station to parking lot communications. That is why when me or my partner are on the parking

lot we stand at the door watching each others back.

The only portable that has ever been used was when the Highway Patrol had the old Iris Van used to

check brakes years ago it had two portables that was used to communicate from van to troopers in the

station to check trucks that had brakes that didn't work and they were pulled over for a brake check.

I hope this answered your question

David
Yes sir, it pretty much confirmed what I suspected. The mag light works well . . . for both purposes. Stay safe out there.

David C.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

yardbird

Premium Subscriber
That thing could do some serious damage.

I don't think my boss would appreciate or like me carrying something like that.

Also looks like it would be heavy too.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.