Yupiteru

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaRradio

Last night I picked up a scanner at an Estate Sale that I have never heard of. It is a Yupiteru MVT-7100. It seems to be a well made scanner and I was able to find the English language owners manual online (the one that was with it was I think in Japanese) .
Can anyone tell me anything about this scanner and whether it was a good purchase?

Nasby

Last night I picked up a scanner at an Estate Sale that I have never heard of. It is a Yupiteru MVT-7100. It seems to be a well made scanner and I was able to find the English language owners manual online (the one that was with it was I think in Japanese) .
Can anyone tell me anything about this scanner and whether it was a good purchase?

It's a classic scanner/receiver that has legendary sensitivity.

In today's world of digital, trunked radio systems it won't do you any good (if that's what you want to hear).

However, for analog aircraft, trains, shortwave, etc. It's a real gem!

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
One of the best aviation scanners ever made. I have one and wouldn't part with it. Archaic and the memory capacitor is prone to failure wiping out the stored frequencies, but this is easy to fix.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Perhaps we don't want to know what the OP paid for his Yupiteru to avoid becoming intensely jealous. :)

AlphaFive

synchronicity?

Oddity, I had never heard of this model before, go figure, in another post on the forums today, there is a second mention of the unit. Discussing how the company made a conscious decision not to enter the U.S. market, in order to avoid seeking F.C.C. approval, ha.

racingfan360

The 7100 is an excellent scanner, excellent sensitivity and very easy to use. They still hold strong second owner prices on ebay in Europe. As said earlier, it will likely suffer from memory cap failure, but easy to fix. Its also quite an simple scanner to add a discriminator tap to, for digital use with DSD+.

SaRradio

Perhaps we don't want to know what the OP paid for his Yupiteru to avoid becoming intensely jealous. :)

I paid $50.00. It came with the antenna, wall power supply and 12volt DC cord. Hope I didn't over pay.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Oddity, I had never heard of this model before, go figure, in another post on the forums today, there is a second mention of the unit. Discussing how the company made a conscious decision not to enter the U.S. market, in order to avoid seeking F.C.C. approval, ha.

Yupi was quite a hit back in the days when getting a scanner capable of receiving cell phone calls was all the rage. The only way to get one was to order from overseas, or travel outside the country and smuggle it back in with you.

I heard from at least one person who ordered one from the UK, and US Customs confiscated it at the port of entry. He never let that one alone, I heard about it every time I saw him (once a year at Hamvention).

At one point I told him it had been XXX years, time to let it go and move on. Didn't do any good. . .

n1das

Yupi was quite a hit back in the days when getting a scanner capable of receiving cell phone calls was all the rage. The only way to get one was to order from overseas, or travel outside the country and smuggle it back in with you.

I heard from at least one person who ordered one from the UK, and US Customs confiscated it at the port of entry. He never let that one alone, I heard about it every time I saw him (once a year at Hamvention).

At one point I told him it had been XXX years, time to let it go and move on. Didn't do any good. . .
I remember those days. Customs officials were on the lookout for that stuff.
ECPA '86 and the cell phone frequency censorship under the illusion of privacy protection to make analog cell phones appear more attractive to uninformed customers set dangerous and grave legal precedents that say banning radio receivers and regulating what people may listen to on the air based solely on content is OK in a free society.

LOL don't get me started.... :)

Last edited:

bob550

Premium Subscriber
I paid $50.00. It came with the antenna, wall power supply and 12volt DC cord. Hope I didn't over pay.

Well, the current sold prices on ebay average $146, so it appears you got a good deal.

We all can now officially start crying! :)

questnz

Good old Yupi was sold in UK, AUS/NZ and in Europe by Bandercom in Finland. Last Models MVT-5500 and MVT-7500 sold only in Japan. Not sure Yupiteru still manufacture these either.

Status
Not open for further replies.