ARMER Database Oragnization

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScanWI

MN & WI DB Admin
Database Admin
I am looking for input from the members in MN, I would like to do some organization of the armer talkgroups to make them easier to navigate. Currently the listings are organized by talkgroup ID. So here are my questions.

Would it be easier to organize the talkgroups by importance? Dispatch channels first then tacs, publics works and so on.

I have already re organized the interop talkgroups so they are in order by name,

Would it be helpful to separate some of the larger groups into smaller divisions? i.e. State Patrol by division, DNR to forestry vs Parks etc

sonm10

Central MN Monitor
Premium Subscriber
Whenever I'm in the database I almost always check the box at the top "list all in table" which lists it in numerical order I find it easier to find tgs that aren't programmed

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
This might be kind of a tall order and even very complicated, but here goes:

I travel to Minnesota each year to visit family. Its been decades since I lived there and my geographic knowledge has dwindled.

With that in mind, it would be kind of nice to know what sites/towers cover what areas. For example if I'm in Minneapolis city limits, what sites/towers should I program? The occasional visitor may not know Hennepin East/West, Minnapolis city center and Minneapolis NS are good choices.

troymail

Silent Key
This might be kind of a tall order and even very complicated, but here goes:

I travel to Minnesota each year to visit family. Its been decades since I lived there and my geographic knowledge has dwindled.

With that in mind, it would be kind of nice to know what sites/towers cover what areas. For example if I'm in Minneapolis city limits, what sites/towers should I program? The occasional visitor may not know Hennepin East/West, Minnapolis city center and Minneapolis NS are good choices.

Not to derail the thread but this would be a really interesting long-term project for many systems -- essentially a survey of the talkgroups seen on each site to include the level of activity (i.e. talkgroup 12345 has 2500 hits over 24 hours on site X but only 50 hits on site Y and 25 on site Z). However, then there needs to be a place to capture/post that information... a whole 'nuther problem.

In many cases, you'd expect that the site(s) closest to the TG user to be the site(s) to choose but that isn't always the case - particularly with system where multiple sites are overlayed like Tx WARN and Philly PA (for example).

Ok - sorry 'bout the brief side-tracking - now back to the original question...

While not being an ARMER listener, I do find that some "smaller" groupings are best - but that seems to mean different things depending upon the system. For example, county or regional systems tend to group things into "fire/ems", "Police", "public works", etc. However, many statewide systems just lump everything into one giant "group" for each county (police, fire, etc.) -- it sure would be nice to make this a bit more consistent across the board (all systems).

In at least one statewide instance, I had to convince the local dbAdmin that although one (super) large grouping was technical valid (i.e. "Department of Transportation"), that top level state department actually consisted of many sub-departments and it made sense to break them up into separate groups. That is - one "group" of talkgroups had at least 100 talkgroups while at the same time, there were smaller agencies that had as few as 1 or 2 talkgroups.

Regardless of radio/scanner vendor, creating smaller, more specific "groups" of talkgroups makes it much easier for users to select what they want to hear vs. having to import lots of stuff and then manual break these groups down into smaller sub-parts (and then having to manually maintain that parsing of the data).

peq387ab

Premium Subscriber
I would say it’s nice right now way it’s sorting in order of Hex ID number. One curious question is ARMER County Talkgroups in Radio’s use a Two Alpha then name of Talkgroup, like for Stearns Law 1, ST Law 1. I’ve notice some of the counties are done that way and some another. Just wondering what everyone likes for preference? I personally label my scanner TG with the two alpha tag

ScanWI

MN & WI DB Admin
Database Admin
I’ve notice some of the counties are done that way and some another. Just wondering what everyone likes for preference? I personally label my scanner TG with the two alpha tag

I have also noticed the inconsistency, I prefer the Two alpha then Law 1 or Fire etc.. We will see what everyone else chimes in for.

blue5011

Whenever I'm in the database I almost always check the box at the top "list all in table" which lists it in numerical order I find it easier to find tgs that aren't programmed

Could not have stated it better myself. And "list all in one table" is how I have the page bookmarked. So I can quickly find the talkgroup by whatever number it is.

Also it would be difficult to list what "tower site" gets what "talkgroup", as any talkgroups can suddenly show up on the system anywhere.

I frequently see talkgroups show up in my log that are from upstate (I am in the south-central area) and have no relevance to me or my county. When I hear something that is constant action, the first thing I do is look to the radio ID's to see what county they are from. Lately it seems high-speed car chases (Blue Earth, Brown, Nicolette, Waseca Counties) are the norm...

Just had a hit from radio ID i169008 on "ST S TAC 2" and looking at the database shows "Metro Mobility". I don't think Metro Mobility is anywhere near Faribault County...

blue5011

I guess now is as good a time as any to submit these for inclusion in the database:

TGID Display
35002 FBLT ROAM
35003 FBLT LAW DSP
35004 FBLT LAW 2
35005 FRBL 7
35007 FRBL 8
35008 FA-FIRE
35009 FRBL FIRE DSP
35010 FRBL WORKS
35011 FA-EMS DSP
35013 FBLT 9
35012 UHD FBLT
35014 FBLT 10
35015 KIESTER OPS
35016 FRBL WORKS 2
35017 BE OPS
35018 BRICELYN OPS
35019 DELAVAN OPS
35020 EASTON OPS
35021 ELMORE OPS
35023 FROST OPS
35024 MN LK OPS
35025 WALTERS OPS
35026 WELLS OPS
35027 W'BAGO OPS
35038 FBLT
35039 FBLT

The "OPS" talkgroups are generally used by the different town departments. They usually practice on Wednesday nights, that is how I was able to separate them out. When the County Dispatch calls them out for incidents which would entail multiple departments and police, they use "FBLT 7, FBLT 8, FBLT 9, etc"

ScanWI

MN & WI DB Admin
Database Admin
Just had a hit from radio ID i169008 on "ST S TAC 2" and looking at the database shows "Metro Mobility". I don't think Metro Mobility is anywhere near Faribault County...

No, but they may have keyed up on it and there is a completely different radio affiliated on that talkgroup in the Faribault area.

ScanWI

MN & WI DB Admin
Database Admin
I guess now is as good a time as any to submit these for inclusion in the database:

TGID Display
35002 FBLT ROAM
35003 FBLT LAW DSP
35004 FBLT LAW 2
35005 FRBL 7
35007 FRBL 8
35008 FA-FIRE
35009 FRBL FIRE DSP
35010 FRBL WORKS
35011 FA-EMS DSP
35013 FBLT 9
35012 UHD FBLT
35014 FBLT 10
35015 KIESTER OPS
35016 FRBL WORKS 2
35017 BE OPS
35018 BRICELYN OPS
35019 DELAVAN OPS
35020 EASTON OPS
35021 ELMORE OPS
35023 FROST OPS
35024 MN LK OPS
35025 WALTERS OPS
35026 WELLS OPS
35027 W'BAGO OPS
35038 FBLT
35039 FBLT

The "OPS" talkgroups are generally used by the different town departments. They usually practice on Wednesday nights, that is how I was able to separate them out. When the County Dispatch calls them out for incidents which would entail multiple departments and police, they use "FBLT 7, FBLT 8, FBLT 9, etc"

The talkgroups have been added, feel free to submit these in the database in the future since I might not alway see them int eh forum.

N0FPY

Talk-group ID's

I know this would be difficult to complete but I would like to see the actual talk-group names (if known) in the data base. Or an indication if this is an actual name *. Some years ago I submitted some actual names but they got changed to something different. It would also be great to be able to sort tower & talk-groups by location as another person said. It would be easier for programming when traveling.

ScanWI

MN & WI DB Admin
Database Admin
Some counties have the actual official names, and I would prefer this. The WISCOM system has the actually official names.

We need to be careful though, if we use the names we saw on someone’s radio, they may not be the official names. I have agencies submit programming information to me all the time to program into their radios and they always have their own twist on a channel name. It can sometimes be a battle to get everyone on the same page. So we would want to make sure that any name changes are the official names and not a local agencies twist on the name.

I do know the Isanti County talkgroups are named as they are for all county agencies, the list was given to me a few years ago by a LOE to program their squad scanners

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peq387ab

Premium Subscriber
I posted in this thread a bit ago about how I like the “Two Alpha” County Abbreviating like they use for most identification of Talkgroups. One nice thing that I have kept over the years is Partcipation Plans, almost all for outstate, and with those are a Fleet Map of Talkgroups that are presented with their description and Alpha Tag. Last couple of my submissions I have followed that to keep it a traditional way of how Talkgroups are named or by hearing a name over the air.

ScanWI

MN & WI DB Admin
Database Admin
I posted in this thread a bit ago about how I like the “Two Alpha” County Abbreviating like they use for most identification of Talkgroups. One nice thing that I have kept over the years is Partcipation Plans, almost all for outstate, and with those are a Fleet Map of Talkgroups that are presented with their description and Alpha Tag. Last couple of my submissions I have followed that to keep it a traditional way of how Talkgroups are named or by hearing a name over the air.

I agree and like this way of representing the talkgroups, most pre-programmed scanners use the description for the channel name for those that aren’t as familiar with the channels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.