• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Connect xtl1500 to a Bogen Amplifier in a building

Status
Not open for further replies.

spuddy98

I work for a fire department. We have several stations with their own PA amplifiers. I want to cleanly connect our XTL1500 motorola radios that we use as monitors to the system. The radio has a base with a speaker connected to it.The radio is currently connected to the amp in a "rube goldberg" system by the dealer. They have a black and yellow wire that come out of the rear connector to a BOGEN WMT1A on the center terminal and a side terminal with a resistor connecting between the two. Then it is tapped into an existing wire that also feeds from a leased telephone line for a PA system. This wire then plugs into a MIC 1 input using a 1/4" phono jack with some resistors in it set up maybe as a voltage divider??

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:

cmdrwill

Use the Filtered Audio output on the accessory connector. It is Line Level and not affected by the volume control.

spuddy98

I've been reading your posts. So I can just connect it to a line level input on my Classic C35 Bogen amp and be done with it. No capacitors and No resistors?

Next question: Cmdrwill, do you know anything about using leased lines (phone lines) and the bogen wmt1a amplifer for 600 ohm. I'm sure you will say its really simple. One of our lines is really picking up noise/phone calls/radio stations.

Thanks

MatRat80109

I was tasked with updating a 1960's era amplifier / speaker system a few years ago. I got a Bogen HTA-250A amplifer. When replacing the Spectra dash mount radio with an XTL5000 I searched for a cleaner solution. All I had available were remote (trunk) mount radios.

In the new setup the radio is in a HLN6042 speaker tray and powered by DC power supply. The remote bracket is velcro'ed on top of the radio. On the remote I used the HKN6187 cable which gives 2 standard mini headphone outputs. I think they are 2.5mm. I have a cable from one of these jacks to the RCA HI-Z input of the amp.

The audio level is fixed and independent of the front volume knob. There is no DC Hum that the old system had due to being connected to the radio speaker connector and no crazy filtering capacitors needed. Normally I have the remote volume all the way down. When monitoring, the remote's volume knob adjusts the tray speaker without affecting the amplifier / speaker system.

This has worked great! Upgrading the radio to an remote mount APX6500 was simple.

MR

bharvey2

I'm not familiar with the outputs on your Motorola radio but I've connected up a number of Bogen amps. Though I might be understanding your description of the wiring, I think your correct in your assessment of a voltage divider circuit being used to drive the amp. Cmdrwill states that your radio has a line level out. If that's the case you should be able to drive the high impedance input of your amp directly. If it's a true Line Level then it should provide a strong signal to your amp input.

spuddy98

I tried it today on our new amp and it didn't work correctly. The sound was garbled. I need to verify the amp is working correctly before I spend time on the radio "test-test, 1-2-3-4-5,5-4-3-2-1" with the whole county listening. I did notice if I switch the input wires it would change the hum...

spuddy98

I did remove the rear connector only to see what pins are involved and found it has the speaker pins - of course as they are connected to a speaker. It has the ignition sense pin, a "reset" and filtered audio with two ground pins. I'm thinking maybe my problem is the new Bogen Amp. I will investigate more monday.

cmdrwill

IS the amp connected to the speaker pins? The speaker output has DC voltage on it that may affect the amp.

Try connecting the Filtered audio pin along with ground pin into the amp on a LINE input.

Filtered Audio LINE Input

Ground Ground

Then set the LINE level on the amp and fix the knob so it does not get changed. Put a 'nail in it' !

spuddy98

I connected it exactly as you describe. I need to verify this new out of the box bogen amp is good. On the output to the 70 volt speakers there is a connection labeled "common" and one labeled "ground" they are connected with a removable jumper could this be an issue. As I say, I will probably try the connection with the old amp first and connect the new amp somewhere I can test it privately.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
I did remove the rear connector only to see what pins are involved and found it has the speaker pins - of course as they are connected to a speaker. It has the ignition sense pin, a "reset" and filtered audio with two ground pins. I'm thinking maybe my problem is the new Bogen Amp. I will investigate more monday.

Should have emergency jumped to ground (function can be disabled on APX but not XTL). Ignition is fairly standard (though it can be bypassed in programming).

spuddy98

I was able to reconnect the Bogen Amp to the radio in the way described by cmdrwill and it worked fine. I believe on friday I had a stray wire contacting the wrong location. My assistant also connected our PA that runs through leased lines to this amp using the phone in line that will mute the Radio on the AUX channel when the PA is used. It works like a dream. We eliminated a great deal of junk and now plan on moving on to other stations with issues hearing the dispatch information. Thanks for all of your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.