Startup configuration keys

Status
Not open for further replies.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I haven't been too interested in startup/configuration keys, though understanding they exist. A change in "scanning MO" has me thinking they could be helpful. I have some questions that are not addressed in the manual.

1. What happens if I attempt to turn on a Favorites List Quick Key that is not associated with the current startup configuration key - as in will it come on?

2. What happens if there is a power loss to the scanner? Does it remember the most recent startup key and turn those associated FLs?

Thanks!

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I haven't been too interested in startup/configuration keys, though understanding they exist. A change in "scanning MO" has me thinking they could be helpful. I have some questions that are not addressed in the manual.!
I have not used the startup keys on the x36HP series scanners. However, before I got them, I was using that on my 396XT, for a regional trip that I took fairly often. The initial startup, 1, had the systems that I would expect to receive in the metro area as I traveled across Dallas & Tarrant county. Once I got on the western edge of Fort Worth, I'd switch to 2, which loaded the counties/systems that would be in range past that point. Once I arrived, I would then switch to 3, which covered what I could hear while there. As some of what was monitorable at that location was also scannable enroute, those agencies/systems were duplicated, one with config 2 assigned, the other with 3. Texas DPS, for example, could possibly be encountered anywhere along the way, so it had no startup assigned, and loaded no matter what configuration was being used.

1. What happens if I attempt to turn on a Favorites List Quick Key that is not associated with the current startup configuration key - as in will it come on?
While I have not tried this, I suspect that the system would come on, especially if it had no startup key assigned. If it had a key, but not the one being activated, I think you might still be able to turn it on, but if the scanner was powered down then back up later, it should flip back to "off" since it was not mapped to the then-current start-up configuration.
2. What happens if there is a power loss to the scanner? Does it remember the most recent startup key and turn those associated FLs?
If the scanner is powered down, then back up, the scanner "remembers" what the last chosen configuration was (at least, that was the case with the 396XT). I would expect the x36HP series to be the same, although if it was a sudden, unexpected, loss of power, you could end up with a corrupted card. If that power event did not mangle the card's data, then I would expect it to power back up to the last used startup configuration, if any.

On the x36HP series, I simply use different Favorites lists instead of startup configs. But I would also be interested if the actual results are different than what I would expect.
Thanks

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Thanks!

I'm doing Favorites Lists, probably 30 of them that are "regionalized" based on where I am. Most of them have Location Control On, but loading this many FL's causes a fairly long boot-up time.

I've done a fair amount of travel and more often than not use full database. But for "frequent scanning" (local and destination) I like Favorites Lists.

Status
Not open for further replies.