Coast Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

leadjammer

Is anyone out there having a problem receiving the Coast Guard on 157.100. That channel was always loud and clear for me even on handhelds but lately it is nothing but intense static with no audio coming through at all. Never experienced this before. Even with my Home Patrol with an outside antenna it is nothing but static.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Working fine for me....

Channel 22A is coming in fine in my shack. I am using a dedicated marine radio, an Icom IC-M504.
I had issues with static and such when using scanners to monitor the marine band. I put the Icom in line and no more issues. Scans flawlessly until there is activity.

Manny

leadjammer

Thanks for that. I don't have a marine radio but the static on that channel when the CG transmits is amazing on four different scanners I have.. Never had an issue previously. This has been going on about two weeks or so. Might be some sort of interference in my area. Very annoying.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
I decided to go with the dedicated marine radio because it is made for that band. Image rejection, sensitivity as well as selectivity are much better using a radio built for the band you're trying to monitor. Since I put it in line, not one single issue has come up on that band. Might want to consider getting a marine radio if you are really into that band. I disabled the mic on mine to avoid any inadvertent TX issues. Just a suggestion...

Manny

MikeMike

Premium Subscriber
Not alone...

I have noticed the same thing. Got so bad I moved away from listening to them. I’m in Guilford so reception should be good.

leadjammer

coast guard

Thanks for responding. Glad I'm not the only one and you are in a completely different area. Had to lockout the channel its been so bad.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Is anyone out there having a problem receiving the Coast Guard on 157.100. That channel was always loud and clear for me even on handhelds but lately it is nothing but intense static with no audio coming through at all. Never experienced this before. Even with my Home Patrol with an outside antenna it is nothing but static.

The Coast Guard in Macomb County, MI is using Michigan's P25 Phase 1 Digital system for some of their communications these days. You might want to do some checking if you have a P25 digital system in your area.

leadjammer

coast guard

Yes they are using P25 on channel 163.050 for some search and rescue stuff but 157.100 is still old analog VHF and the morning and evening information broadcasts have been unreadable. Total noise and static. Thanks for the input.

FKimble

Think back to the time this started, did you add or change anything in the house? A new router, new monitor, anything electronic that could be causing the noise?

Frank KK4YTM

leadjammer

coast guard

I really haven't added anything new. Its the only channel with that much noise. Could be something in my area. Another person in my area is getting the same static. Maybe its something on the CG end.

Status
Not open for further replies.