Does Sentinel update the frequencies or do you have to do it manually

Status
Not open for further replies.

hydrasports

I just updated my firmware and master HPDB and was wondering do I have to manually go through all the frequencies to update them to what is on the radioreference page or is that done automatically through sentinel?

For instance say I put in New London, CT as a favorite and I have all of New London's frequencies in my scanner using Sentinel. If frequencies change do I need to look that up for myself and manually put the new frequencies in (change the old ones) or will Sentinel do that on it's own without me having it input them manually?

Thank you to all that can help and answer!

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I just updated my firmware and master HPDB and was wondering do I have to manually go through all the frequencies to update them to what is on the radioreference page or is that done automatically through sentinel?

For instance say I put in New London, CT as a favorite and I have all of New London's frequencies in my scanner using Sentinel. If frequencies change do I need to look that up for myself and manually put the new frequencies in (change the old ones) or will Sentinel do that on it's own without me having it input them manually?

Thank you to all that can help and answer!
If you are using a Favorites list, then you would need to manually update whatever changed. Sentinel does not modify lists that you've created. Many people, including myself, modify or customize systems and text tags for more useful labels. If Sentinel automatically updated a Favorites list, it would also overwrite any customization that had been done.

If, instead of Favorites lists, you were scanning using only the main database and your location, along with range & specified service types, then the scanner would use whatever was changed.

Generally, I monitor my systems of interest for changes. Often, the "change" is something that has zero effect on my Favorites lists. When there is a change , addition, or deletion, that does make a difference, it only takes a minute or two for me to update it. In the event there is a large number of changes, such as a significant block of new talkgroups added to a trunked system, I hove the option of appending the revised system from the database via Sentinel, then making whatever changes I want if needed.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I agree with the above as it is exactly what I do.

There is a good reason for Sentinel not updating "stuff" in Favorites Lists. Many users polish-up FLs after creation, such as with alert lights, channel delays, alpha tags and so on. If Sentinel was to automatically update, then all this hard work could be reverted to its original state.

Status
Not open for further replies.