Whistler Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

arhodes

All,
I have made the leap into the scanning world and just bought a TRX-1. Although i did figure out how to get it up and running via the software (because i wanted only specific freq's) I want to make sure i have these added effectively. Please take a closer look at what i have done and my notes on the attached picture

Attachments

• RR.jpg
    RR.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 255

marksmith

Your setup as far as the system site is fine. The red/blue frequencies are mandatory and others are optional but do not hurt to be there. I include the voice frequencies like this.

On trunked systems only the active control channel is monitored by the radio for each site. The real work in terms of what you want to listen to happens on the talkgroup tab.

A given talkgroup can end up being on any or all frequencies as the system control channel moves it around, even in mid conversation. That is the reason that listening is determined by what is programmed for talkgroups, and not frequencies.

The active control channel frequency is monitored and if a programmed talkgroup becomes active, it assigns it to a voice frequency and you hear it. If the talkgroup is not included in what you program, it is ignored, regardless of frequencies.

Mark
536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

Last edited:

arhodes

This is the setup of the Talkgroup for the listed Freq's above. Any Recommendations or do you all think i have it right?

Attachments

• RR TG.jpg
    RR TG.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 265

marksmith

This is the setup of the Talkgroup for the listed Freq's above. Any Recommendations or do you all think i have it right?
This also looks fine.

I presume that Henrico fire and Henrico police are on the same system. You have it set up as two different systems.

You can do this also by leaving the whole system in there once, and just referencing this system by two different scanlists of talkgroups. That way it scans the system once and if either police or fire are active, it will receive. In your case, it will not receive police if it is scanning the system for fire, and vice versa. If the system is not real active, it won't make a big difference, but you can miss the beginning of a transmission.

I usually don't break a system into several systems unless I am breaking them up by different sites, if there are many.

Mark

arhodes

Take a look as how i have Richmond. Is that how you recommend I do Henrico's to avoid missing transmission? I have separate scan list for each area listed above depending on where I am at (Home, Work, etc) but Henrico is my main area of interest. I have Richmond as PD, FD and EMS all in one group.

Attachments

• RR RPD.jpg
    RR RPD.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 241

marksmith

Take a look as how i have Richmond. Is that how you recommend I do Henrico's to avoid missing transmission? I have separate scan list for each area listed above depending on where I am at (Home, Work, etc) but Henrico is my main area of interest. I have Richmond as PD, FD and EMS all in one group.
Yes. This scans the system only once to check the control channel.

Each time the radio changes systems during a scan it takes 1-2 seconds to lock on to the control channel and check for activity. By looking at the control channel only once, you miss fewer possible starts of a transmission.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.