Vermont Railway on OneVoice DMR Trunked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
Can anyone confirm that Vermont Railway is at least partially operating on a digital trunked system? Allegedly on the DMR OneVoice system?

Thanks!

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber

ecps92

Interesting and might not have been noticed by anyone prior.
I'm sure the folks in VT/NY will take interest in this one, if simulcast that is good

Thanks
I haven't been up there in almost two years, but allegedly as of December 2016 the VHF AAR Channels became a simulcast of the VTR's talkgroup on a digital system, supposedly OneVoice. If that was bad information, I'm happy to hear it. :D

LathamScan

Premium Subscriber
I was in North Bennington last week (Tuesday 2/13/18) and monitored switching operations on 161.355 simplex. Also monitored dispatch and train operations on 160.290 and 161.190 throughout the day.

KB1VLA

I have confirmed that VRS has indeed switched to One Voice. Their talkgroup (or talkgroups?) is patched to VRS Channel 2, 161.190 MHz at least. In the past, Channels 2 and 3 (160.290) were patched together, but when I was in the area I heard traffic on 161.190 but not on 160.290. Switching ops will stay on VHF channels 4 and 5, 160.710 and 161.355.

ecps92

Now to match up the One Voice TG's to the VHF Channels

I have confirmed that VRS has indeed switched to One Voice. Their talkgroup (or talkgroups?) is patched to VRS Channel 2, 161.190 MHz at least. In the past, Channels 2 and 3 (160.290) were patched together, but when I was in the area I heard traffic on 161.190 but not on 160.290. Switching ops will stay on VHF channels 4 and 5, 160.710 and 161.355.

LathamScan

Premium Subscriber
Is it possible that they are using the OneVoice system as a 'backhaul' to link in their remote base/repeater stations? Setting up talkgroups on a TRS is a lot cheaper than building out point-to-point microwave links to tie in the remote stations, and is something I've seen companies do in the past. I guess the real test point is to try to see how many different radio ID's key up on the talkgroups. If you only see a couple of radio ID's it may be a radio link.

KB1VLA

Is it possible that they are using the OneVoice system as a 'backhaul' to link in their remote base/repeater stations? Setting up talkgroups on a TRS is a lot cheaper than building out point-to-point microwave links to tie in the remote stations, and is something I've seen companies do in the past. I guess the real test point is to try to see how many different radio ID's key up on the talkgroups. If you only see a couple of radio ID's it may be a radio link.

The locomotive have newly-installed UHF antennas (in addition to the UHF telemetry antennas), so not just for repeater linking.

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
The locomotive have newly-installed UHF antennas (in addition to the UHF telemetry antennas), so not just for repeater linking.

My understanding was that all road operations were via the trunked system, simulcast onto the appropriate VHF AAR channel. I'll be going back up next month, this month's plans were changed, and I'll do some work on nailing the details down.

KB1VLA

I would imagine that the VHF repeaters would remain, to allow other railroads (ST, CP, NECR, Amtrak) to communicate with the dispatcher.

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
VRS using TG700036 on the OneVoice system, patched to 160.290 and 161.190 as of Wednesday. Confirmed first hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.