Whistler TRX2 refurb sale 2/15/2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkf435

Just put one in my shopping cart.

Do wish they would space the sales out a little more, not able to buy another one already, the TRX-1 comes today.

David

Last edited:

586ED

Premium Subscriber
Whistler TRX-2 REFURB Sale

I received my refurbished TRX-2 today, (Thursday, 2/22/18). Physically it looked fine. I updated the firmware and software. So far it receives well on all frequencies. No problems at this time. They have a different way of placing a new serial number on the radio however. Anyone else receive their TRX-2?

RocketNJ

received mine. Looks like the front face took a hit. The plastic covering the display was scratched and a small chip/nick in edge of display. Also top and bottom cover of the scanner was dirty. Used Windex on a cloth to clean it and definitely dirt came off.

Issues with the SD card. Was getting error Code: 4-00. Pulled it out and contacts were dirty and you can see marks on contacts that it had been in and out of the scanner enough times to leave marks on the contacts.

Cleaned the contacts on the SD card with De-Oxit Red and then used De-Oxit Gold to condition them. Formatted the card and now working.

Decoding of DMR conventional channel using RAS is very slow to decode when scanning 3 conventional frequencies. Set it to record and had a lot of keyups but no audio (missed beginning of transmissions.

Now have it set monitoring the DMS RAS conventional channel and waiting for the PD to transmit. Hopefully it decodes better locked on single frequency.

The town can go a couple of hours sometimes without a single transmission as they use the computers in the cars in lieu of radio traffic.

While typing this just had a transmission from them and only heard one side of the transmission. So decoding DMR RAS still is poor. Next step is to enable IF out to PC and run DSD+ Fast Lane to see how decoding using Fast Lane stacks up. Fast Lane with RTL-SDR dongle decodes 100%.

danlewis

Feed Provider
I received my refurbished TRX-2 today, (Thursday, 2/22/18). Physically it looked fine. I updated the firmware and software. So far it receives well on all frequencies. No problems at this time. They have a different way of placing a new serial number on the radio however. Anyone else receive their TRX-2?

Got mine. It arrived in about as new condition, no real issues. Postal carrier left the box on the front porch in the pouring rain and didn't ring the doorbell or I didn't hear it, so the box was pretty wet. Fortunately the moisture did not get inside the package.

It works a bit differently from the Uniden and GRE scanners that I'm used to. I was surprised to learn that Butel can't support them because of a lack of info from Whistler. I did not know this prior to ordering and it could have influenced my decision. But I'm getting to know the software (and its bugs).

I've setup a DMR trunked system for the amateur DMR in this area and just imported the Radio ID list from DMR MARC, settting callsign as the Alpha Tag. I suppose if I wanted to massage things a big I could concatenate the Callsign and Name into the Alpha Tag field, but I want to see how this goes first. The was a bug on importing. I could not get the Alpha Tag field to display in the dropdown until I made it a column heading in a CSV. Clipboard never displayed the field as a choice.

DJ11DLN

Got mine. It arrived in about as new condition, no real issues. Postal carrier left the box on the front porch in the pouring rain and didn't ring the doorbell or I didn't hear it, so the box was pretty wet. Fortunately the moisture did not get inside the package.

It works a bit differently from the Uniden and GRE scanners that I'm used to. I was surprised to learn that Butel can't support them because of a lack of info from Whistler. I did not know this prior to ordering and it could have influenced my decision. But I'm getting to know the software (and its bugs).

I've setup a DMR trunked system for the amateur DMR in this area and just imported the Radio ID list from DMR MARC, settting callsign as the Alpha Tag. I suppose if I wanted to massage things a big I could concatenate the Callsign and Name into the Alpha Tag field, but I want to see how this goes first. The was a bug on importing. I could not get the Alpha Tag field to display in the dropdown until I made it a column heading in a CSV. Clipboard never displayed the field as a choice.

There has been no 3rd-party software support for anything newer (if that term applies) than the PSR-600. Starting with the PSR-800/Pro-18 we've been locked into the included software. Which IMHO is ridiculous.

On the other hand, E-Z Scan isn't bad once you learn it. As much as I'd like to see "Win800," I can make E-Z Scan do what I need it to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.