Simulcast A - No Longer Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
My BCD436HP has stopped receiving simulcast A, and I sit in view of the north mountain tower. Normally reception is 100% perfect from my office, but now, not a peep. I have verified that all frequencies (not just listed control frequencies) are entered in my control frequency table, and I've double and triple checked them. I know this could simply be the scanner acting up, but I'm wondering if I can get some other reports from people who monitor this simulcast to verify.

***Update: It appears there is some type of issue with this scanner, as it has now come back to life and is receiving transmissions.

Last edited:

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
Thanks John, I was aware of that, but thanks for covering all bases. There is a Simulcast A antenna array on North Mountain though...that was what I was getting at. I definitely have the correct frequencies in there....it's an odd issue.

KB7MIB

I wonder why they would have both Simulcast A/B (B is co-located at all the A sites), as well as the IR site up there?

John
Peoria

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
I wonder why they would have both Simulcast A/B (B is co-located at all the A sites), as well as the IR site up there?

John
Peoria

A System in Texas is getting ready to merge their two co-located simulcast systems. Originally they were split to meet the loading requirements due to the limitations imposed by a T1 but now that everything is IP they can be get the Capacity needed out of one master simulcast System.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber

John
Peoria

Simulcast A/B are co-located on North Mountain (and all Simulcast A/B transmitter locations) for capacity and full coverage redundancy. The "High Site" that is on North Mountain, as with all the "High Sites", are there for redundancy in case of failure. I'm guessing since this is a critical site for coverage and they have adequate real estate/tower space, it was chosen as one of the High Site locations.

Far North Mountain (Mt Gillian) is the same situation. It carries Simulcast A/B and a "High Site".

South Mountain is similar. It carries Simulcast C, F, and a "High Site".

The airport is also similar as it carries Simulcast A/B, and the Sky Harbor IR.

These where all likely chosen as triple redundant sites since they already had tower space, and these are all critical for coverage and capacity if there are failures.

On another note, redundancy is even better now that the High Sites are being to a new RFSS.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.