• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CB Base Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

baybum

This is one of those "what it the best" questions.
I want to mount something on an existing chimney mast, 60 feet above the ground. My house is 400' above sea level, and the distance to the radio is 60'. I'm interested in omni-directional, and will be using a Lafayette SSB-140.
I want the SWR to match, out of the box,(if possible) I probably will use RG-8 or mini 8.
I'm interested in working late-night SSB DX. Daytime...forget it. No extra power.

I'd like to keep it below $250-$200.

What is my best option?

Thanks

luv2ride_hd

Premium Subscriber
This is an open ended question. I considered several antennas in my search - I decided to go with an iMax 2000 and the ground plane kit. I havent been happier. This antenna is easy to setup and SWR has been flat across the band after I found a defective jumper. Just my opnion - others I'm sure will chime on

Blackswan73

I tried several base antennas when I was in CB, including A99 , Big Stick, and a ground plane from RS. I found the best antenna I ever used was the AS Starduster. You can still find this antenna now, even though AS is long gone. It is sold now by a company in Italy and is called the M400.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The "company in Italy" would be Sirio, manufacturer of the antenna I just linked...

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
In the 60's ~ 70's, I owned two Avanti Astro Plane base CB antennas. They performed extremely well. I never used a linear, just stock CB's.

Avanti Astro Plane
https://officinahf.jimdo.com/antenne-cb-11m/cb-commerciali-astroplane/

image.jpg

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
The "company in Italy" would be Sirio, manufacturer of the antenna I just linked...

Sirio makes very high quality antennas. The picture posted on Amazon previously does not look like a good example, as it appears to be mounted crooked.

Last edited:

N9RMA

What ever you decide for an antenna.....DO NOT skip on a good quality coax....ie LMR 400..Belden 9913 Etc......RG 59 just aint gonna du it...Lots of loss on a long run...Bob N9RMA.. ham extra class

prcguy

Is the OP in Ellicott City, CO outside Colorado Springs? Anyway I've used all the antennas listed so far plus countless more and the Astro Plane is nothing special as is the AS Starduster. The two best performing commercially made omni directional CB base antennas ever made were the Hy-Gain Penetrator with the second runner up being the Avanti full size 5/8 with four ground radials and the circular tuning thing at the base.

Fortunately the Hy-Gain Penetrator is still made today and still works the same as it did when it first came out. They cut some corners and the metal is a little thinner but I recently bought a new one to replace my 1973 vintage original and I'm very happy with it. Currently the price is $139 plus shipping from these guys:
https://www.gigaparts.com/hy-gain-s...MI0Z3jpO6q2QIVXrbACh1NdAKrEAQYASABEgKTf_D_BwE
prcguy

JayMojave

Hello Baybum: Great advice from PRCGUY as usual.

Attaching anything to a chimney is not recommended as chimneys are not meant for any side ways stress or any other stress or pressure on it. Using a tower or even a push up mast would be better.

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert

w2rea

I agree with prcguy. The Hy-Gain Penetrator is a great antenna. Back in the 80's I could talk to other base stations on AM within a 30 mile radius on 4 watts. During band openings everywhere!

prcguy

I missed the chimney thing. Every chimney is different and needs to be evaluated for antenna attachment. I've had one that was made of massive stones and as a kid made my own mounts using 3/8" steel cable and giant turnbuckles that held up 21ft of heavy steel pipe with a Hy-Gain Penetrator on top. That setup would crush some chimneys so you have to be careful.

Hello Baybum: Great advice from PRCGUY as usual.

Attaching anything to a chimney is not recommended as chimneys are not meant for any side ways stress or any other stress or pressure on it. Using a tower or even a push up mast would be better.

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert

Craigmoe

Premium Subscriber
The 'IMAX 2000', all over the world on 10meters (12watts). No ground plane kit. Also LMR 400 over 50 feet, (stay away Belden-9913) RG8X otherwise. Just my experience.

baybum

Thank you all for the great suggestions. I had an Antron-99 way back in the day.
Now I have some options to think about between now and when the weather breaks.

KK2DOG

Premium Subscriber
Back in my CB days, I had a Radio Shack 1/2 wave, an Avani Astroplane, an Antron-99 and an Imax 2000.
I liked the Imax 2000 best.

lmrtek

While there are dozens of gimmick antennas making rediculous gain claims, NOTHING will work any better than one that has 9 foot long ground radials.
The best on the market is the Hygain SPT 500 and it will EASILY out perform Antron 99s or any other gimmick antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.