WS1065 External Speaker Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
I just ordered this model and would like to ask those who have experimented with external speakers on this scanner which way to go.

After looking over the manual, and reading comments online, I still can't determine what will work best.

I assume that the headphone jack is designed for a stereo type plug, but that the rear jack is a mono jack, is this correct? This doesn't seem to be addressed in the manual, and in fact the rear jack is pointed out, but never discussed further, unless I am blind / missing something here.

I assume that the headphone jack is a lower level output, and that the speaker jack would be a higher level. Correct?

I have read MANY complaints about low volume with external speakers on this scanner using the headphone jack, so why don't people just put a standard external speaker on the rear jack? I did read one complaint that the rear jack doesn't output very much audio either, and that the scanner needs to be "shaken" or "hit" to get a good audio level, and a few people said they had the same experience. With ALL of my older scanners, I can simply plug a regular un-powered speaker into the back and have good audio. What is the truth here?

I am looking for strong audio, with solid performance in the lower vocal range. I don't want "small speaker sound". Price isn't a huge issue. What is a a good choice that won't break the bank, and where am I plugging in, the front or the back? I don't want the clutter of computer speakers, I want one speaker. Why aren't most users just plugging a regular non-powered external speaker into the back jack as people have done with scanners for decades?

Do any of the speakers with "noise reduction" help bring voice out in weaker signals, or does this end up being more of a gimmick? Does anyone use these "noise reduction" features and end up satisfied, and if so why? What types of noise are actually being reduced?

Any input, and even long winded personal experience will be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.