External Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawken2017

New member! Thanks for the add

I have a BCD536HP and a total newbie!
I would like to add a external antennae to my shop. I have clear line of sight to a P25 tower about 2 miles away.

I would like to mount a mast on the end of the building which has a metal roof. On one end there is a metal chimney for a wood stove that is about 5 feet from the end of the building. It sticks up about 2 feet above the roof line.

Can I mount the mast on the end of the building with the chimney or should I place the mast on the other end of the building?

I plan on using a 10 foot mast with a Diamond discone antennae and a good quality type of cable.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Welcome to the forum! You could mount the antenna and mast on the metal chimney provided it will support it. But, why take the chance. I'd place it on the opposite end of the roof, mounting the mast on an "eave mount" bracket. Just make sure you're using a good low-loss cable, and don't forget to ground the mast and antenna.

DJ11DLN

"Metal chimney?" Is that what we rednecks call a stove pipe? If so I'd shy away from it. The suggestion above of an eave mount sounds more reasonable.

There's also a thread on here somewhere describing why strapping a mast to a traditional masonry chimney isn't that grand of an idea. I'd think a metal one might be an even worse candidate. But any antenna you can get outdoors & up in the air is going to show you some improvement.

Welcome aboard.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Heat, soot, combustion gasses, etc. wouldn't be an ideal location for your antenna or the coaxial cable.

Antenna mounting location is important, but so is keeping your coaxial cable run as short as reasonably possible. Since all feed lines have some amount of inherent loss in them, you should choose your mounting location based on a combination of both.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I'd recommend against the vent pipe. You'll end up getting the by-products of combustion on the antenna, cable and connectors. These things can be corrosive.

Plus the soot is carbon and carbon can be a conductor. If a substantial layer builds up, it could adversely affect antenna performance.

And then a 10' mast can add some torque and upset the seal between the vent and roofing materials. The result could be water infiltration into the roof structure.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
2 mile away you won't need an external antenna...try it without first

I agree. Especially if you have a clear line of sight. The factory antenna is going to be useless for something 20 miles away over a mountain, but a paper clip could probably pick up a tower 2 miles away with a clear line of sight.

rcool101

Feed Provider
I agree. Especially if you have a clear line of sight. The factory antenna is going to be useless for something 20 miles away over a mountain, but a paper clip could probably pick up a tower 2 miles away with a clear line of sight.
You agree with me?.....LOL...Just kidding...On a serious note if he is listening to a simulcast system he will get killed

Hawken2017

Welcome to the forum! You could mount the antenna and mast on the metal chimney provided it will support it. But, why take the chance. I'd place it on the opposite end of the roof, mounting the mast on an "eave mount" bracket. Just make sure you're using a good low-loss cable, and don't forget to ground the mast and antenna.

Thank you

Hawken2017

I'd recommend against the vent pipe. You'll end up getting the by-products of combustion on the antenna, cable and connectors. These things can be corrosive.

Plus the soot is carbon and carbon can be a conductor. If a substantial layer builds up, it could adversely affect antenna performance.

And then a 10' mast can add some torque and upset the seal between the vent and roofing materials. The result could be water infiltration into the roof structure.

Appreciate your feedback!

Hawken2017

"Metal chimney?" Is that what we rednecks call a stove pipe? If so I'd shy away from it. The suggestion above of an eave mount sounds more reasonable.

There's also a thread on here somewhere describing why strapping a mast to a traditional masonry chimney isn't that grand of an idea. I'd think a metal one might be an even worse candidate. But any antenna you can get outdoors & up in the air is going to show you some improvement.

Welcome aboard.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.