• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

2-Tone Frequency Viewing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schmetzy13

Does anyone know of any way to view the VHF tone frequencies a G5 is picking up, similar to the fire tone-out searching available on Unidens scanners (I know this isn't a scanner).

I've entered all of my tone frequencies correctly into my G5 and have been able to get the pager to alert when toning out from a portable radio, but when our dispatch sends the tones, the pager will not alert. I'd like to know what my G5 is essentially "hearing" when our tones come across from dispatch. I've reached out to Unication with this and they've been very responsive, but have no idea what could be going wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

troymail

Silent Key
Does anyone know of any way to view the VHF tone frequencies a G5 is picking up, similar to the fire tone-out searching available on Unidens scanners (I know this isn't a scanner).
Not that I am aware of - you need to know the tone frequencies before programming the G5.
I've entered all of my tone frequencies correctly into my G5 and have been able to get the pager to alert when toning out from a portable radio, but when our dispatch sends the tones, the pager will not alert. I'd like to know what my G5 is essentially "hearing" when our tones come across from dispatch. I've reached out to Unication with this and they've been very responsive, but have no idea what could be going wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Are you programming the G5 for VHF/UHF 2-Tone or 2-Tone over P25? I can get mine to work for 2-Tone over conventional but it doesn't work for those same tones that are sent over P25.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
The City of Bethlehem in my area uses a long tone over P25 Phase 1 to dispatch Fire and EMS. I was able to setup my G4 to alert when this long tone is sent. I wonder why the 2 tone set sent over P25 doesn't work? I don't have any 2 tone on P25 to use as a test to see for myself.

Although, I did notice while setting up for the long tone, my G4 uses a generic range for tone frequencies. Maybe this could be the reason. I know from programming many different pagers the tone frequencies don't need to be exactly correct. They can be a bit off. Maybe this range is too far off for 2 tone frequencies. Or maybe it's just using the generic range for single long tone. I never looked at setting up a 2 tone.

Last edited:

troymail

Silent Key
The City of Bethlehem in my area uses a long tone over P25 Phase 1 to dispatch Fire and EMS. I was able to setup my G4 to alert when this long tone is sent. I wonder why the 2 tone set sent over P25 doesn't work? I don't have any 2 tone on P25 to use as a test to see for myself.

Although, I did notice while setting up for the long tone, my G4 uses a generic range for tone frequencies. Maybe this could be the reason. I know from programming many different pagers the tone frequencies don't need to be exactly correct. They can be a bit off. Maybe this range is too far off for 2 tone frequencies. Or maybe it's just using the generic range for single long tone. I never looked at setting up a 2 tone.

Setting it up (from my aging memory) is more complicated than conventional 2-Tone so there could be issues there....

I was in touch with David last fall about 2-Tone over P25 when I could not get it to work. I even sent him my config which he told me was correct.

I think it is known it won't work for all situations (I'm pretty sure over and over it was said that it was designed and/or tested for tones sent from Motorola consoles). Some (newer?) P25 systems send pure tones over P25 directly. Older systems (like the one in my area possibly?) actually page over conventional and it is more or less "patched" to a P25 talkgroup. I think this "patch" scenario probably introduces noise or other interference into the signal which may cause it not work.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Troy could it be it is scanning and not getting all of both tones. Minitor 4's do not alert if the tone timing it not received A tone 3 seconds and B tone 3 seconds Long Tones are 7 seconds here but the pagers trip after 4 seconds or so. We also use Long Tones for ALL CALL.

k3sls

Premium Subscriber
I think QCII paging has several issues on digital systems. Dropping a bit could severely affect both timing of the tones and potentially the frequency of the tone itself. Scanning could miss enough of the tone to throw the timing off completely. Plenty of systems seem to have their conventional tone system patched to a P25 TGID, but continue to rely on the conventional equipment as the primary paging system. Two local SC systems are good examples: Horry County Fire Rescue abandoned both VHF QCII paging and P25 TGID paging. Horry went to VHF alphanumeric text paging (Unication E3) as a replacement, although that had some CAD interfacing hiccups during the rollout. Generally works well now. North Myrtle Beach Fire Rescue uses both the county alphanumeric system and has also returned to VHF QCII paging. They continue to patch the tones to P25 TGIDs, but the radios apparently don't decode the tones reliably.

troymail

Silent Key
Troy could it be it is scanning and not getting all of both tones. Minitor 4's do not alert if the tone timing it not received A tone 3 seconds and B tone 3 seconds Long Tones are 7 seconds here but the pagers trip after 4 seconds or so. We also use Long Tones for ALL CALL.
Do you mean as far as 2-Tone on P25? If so, it shouldn't happen. The radio monitors a single control channel and the single talkgroup that is used for tone out.

And, conventional 2-Tone has to monitor a single specific frequency.

k3sls

Premium Subscriber
This link points to a previous discussion of paging on P25 systems. As I read it, UnicationDavid was suggesting the most reliable decode method is having a dedicated TGID for paging and parking the pager on that TGID…but still not as reliable as conventional analog paging…thus his reference to "page groups".
And some additional discussion located here.

Schmetzy13

My issue is entirely with 2-Tone paging on VHF. Our dispatch center uses QCII for the tones; 1 second/3 second. The tone frequencies I have for our stations/trucks are the exact one entered into our Minitors and are non-standard frequencies. I have them entered into PPS as a custom type of paging.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Two-tone frequency viewing

This method is a bit out in the weeds but I can detect the tones of a transmission (PL that is) using a SDR dongle and HDSDR software. HDSDR has an audio spectrum analyzer built in, so I just read the subaudible tones off of that.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
My issue is entirely with 2-Tone paging on VHF. Our dispatch center uses QCII for the tones; 1 second/3 second. The tone frequencies I have for our stations/trucks are the exact one entered into our Minitors and are non-standard frequencies. I have them entered into PPS as a custom type of paging.
There's a very easy way to verify the tones coming from dispatch. Get yourself an app for smartphones called RadioID, fire it up, and monitor the channel until you get tones. It will give an accurate readout of the actual tones received.

Second point, have you verified that the tone info you have is matches that originally provided by dispatch? It would not be the first time that the info got changed as it got passed from user to user. An easy thing to do is download the correct tone charts and compare what you have to them. www.midians.com/pdf/tone-signaling-charts.pdf

troymail

Silent Key

"I have them entered into PPS as custom type of paging" - what does that mean?

Just trying to learn more (as always!)

Status
Not open for further replies.