Coming to Charlotte

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wes

Premium Subscriber
I'll be in Charlotte next week for a conference. Looks like the overwhelming majority of the public safety traffic is on the UASI system? Any need to program in VIPER or any of the conventional stuff? For what it's worth, I'll be bringing my 436 to scan, primarily EMS and FD.

Also, not sure how NCSHP does things? Do they work metro areas? (I'm asking because Texas DPS primarily stays in rural/unincorporated areas.)

yardbird

Ok!

The only thing that Charlotte Mecklenburg has on VHF is County Fire Dispatch. (156.165 Mhz.)

After dispatch if it is a structure fire or alarm activations units will check enroute on county fire. Then after

arrival of first unit with a size-up then an ops channel will be assigned.

After dispatch if the call is a medical then all traffic will be assigned to Meck Ops 4

All Medical calls in the City of Charlotte are handled on Meck Ops 3.

Mecklenburg Co. has 2 dispatch channels and 11 Ops Channels. Their Ems conference channel is

encrypted.

Charlotte Fire has 1 primary dispatch channel and then 9 primary Ops Channels

However Charlotte Fire Ops K is encrypted so is their conference channel

Charlotte Mecklenburg Police is pretty much open, except for SWAT, Tactical, Bomb which are encrypted.

Matthews, Mint Hill, Davidson, Cornelius, Huntersville and Davidson College Police are open.

Mecklenburg Co. Sheriff is pretty much open as well.

Mecklenburg Co. Sheriff mainly handles court related matters from serving papers to court security and jail operations.

They will assist with wrecks till an additional NCSHP or Char/Meck Police arrive on scene.

The Town of Pineville Police Department has their own 800 Mhz. system.

NCSHP has a talkgroup on the C/M UASI system. However all you will hear is dispatch.

To listen to both sides of NCSHP you will need to program in the Viper System.

NCSHP Cars are designated by H-5 for Char/Meck. Dispatch is designated as Monroe

Char/Meck has three state Viper radio towers in Mecklenburg County.

Heathway. Primary Control Channel is 853.6875 Mhz.

Huntersville. Primary Control Channel is 853.2125 Mhz.

Pineville. Primary Control Channel is 853.8250 Mhz.

As foe NCSHP coverage in Char/Meck they handle mostly wrecks on the interstates.

On occasion the Charlotte/Mecklenburg Police will handle some as well.

Char/Meck has 3 major interstates

I-77 runs North & South. Runs from Iredell Co, NC to York Co., SC

I-85 runs North & South. Runs from Cabarrus Co, NC to Gaston Co., NC

I-485 is just an Interstate loop that circles around the City of Charlotte.

Also when you get down here you may encounter some strange or odd talkgroup Id's not to worry.

The City of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County are redoing talkgroup Id's

Need more information just PM me.

Hope this helps

David

Last edited:

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
Yardbird,

My thanks to you as well. I live in western NC (Franklin) and travel to Charlotte (Huntersville) periodically for meetings. Your information is very helpful.

Metrofire31
Franklin, NC
WQIT636 (GMRS)

Soundman

When you get here hit auto locate and you should be set . You will get everything then . Remember to update your scanner before you come .

Status
Not open for further replies.