Using Butel Software with Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

cityguy14202

Premium Subscriber
I've installed Butel Scanning Software on a new HP computer that has Windows 10 Version 1709. When I plug in the USB1 I get an error message that says, "Serial port is not available or used by other software." What is the solution for this? I'm unable to even find the device manager so that I can change serial ports not that I'm even capable of doing so without help. I have installed the FTDI driver software recommended to me already. Can anyone help me through this? To be honest I'm way out of my league here!

bradam2001

Uniden USB-1 will not work on windows 10 due to the chip set on the USB-1.
I have to run another computer with windows 7. Never heard of a work around for Windows 10.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
My ARC500 has worked on 10, but I have had other radios with mixed success. The last one showed that the driver installed, but it gave the same error message until I restarted the computer and now works.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Uniden USB-1 will not work on windows 10 due to the chip set on the USB-1.
I have to run another computer with windows 7. Never heard of a work around for Windows 10.

That's not an accurate statement across the board. It depends entirely how new/old his USB-1 cable is.

USB-1 cables purchased after sometime around 2013 work perfectly fine with all flavors of Windows 10.

Check here:

Uniden USB-1 Programming Cable (BC246/396/330/230/95/996/15/XT)

And there is an often posted work-around for older USB-1 cables and Windows 10 here:

https://forums.radioreference.com/u...ndows-10-uniden-usb-driver-4.html#post2747343

The only drawback with the work-around is that you will probably need to do it every time there is a major update to Windows 10, but it only takes a minute to do it.

Last edited:

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
"Original" USB-1 cables had the HXA chipset which worked fine in pre Windows 8 computers. When Windows 8 (and thus Windows 10) came around, things went south and that cable would no longer work.

As noted above, the most recent batch of USB-1 cables started using the HXD chipset which is compatible with Windows 8/10.

If you have the original programming cable (with the DB9) end, you could get a Serial to USB adapter from Amazon that has the HXD chipset. It's a tad cheaper if you are pinching pennies.

Two important things: 1-contact the USB-1 seller and be sure it has the HXD chipset (you never know if they have some older ones laying around). 2-Before you connect the new cable (or adapter) be sure to download and install the drivers for the cable/adapter. If you don't you'll create a headache for yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.