• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Business Radio license

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunny222

Hey I am planing to buy radios for our business and I have my business license. Can I operate on business frequencys in the business license?

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Hey I am planing to buy radios for our business and I have my business license. Can I operate on business frequencys in the business license?

Can you clarify what you mean by "business license"? Do you mean you have an FCC license for your business...or you have a state or local government issued business license for operating your business?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

"Business license", as in a license to operate a business in your state/county? That doesn't grant you any rights to two way radio use at all, at least not in the USA.

"Business Frequencies" is a generalized term to refer to FCC Part 90 frequencies that are reserved for business/industrial type use.

To be legal, you need a couple of things:

A valid license issued to your business by the Federal Communications Commission, if you are located in the USA.

You can license for "itinerant" frequencies via the FCC if you qualify.
If you don't, you'll need to work with an FCC authorized Frequency Coordinator to find one or more suitable frequencies you can use in your area. With the approval from the frequency coordinator, you can apply for the license. The FCC will need to have the info from the coordinator.

You cannot legally operate on the Part 90 business frequencies until you have a valid FCC license. There are -NO- license free business frequencies in the FCC Part 90 allocations.

Also, do NOT purchase radios until you have the FCC license in hand. All too often people purchase radios first then try to get them licensed. This can be an issue if you are put on coordinated frequencies. While the frequency coordinator will try to accommodate you, you will not know which frequencies or even which band you'll be able to use.

A much better approach is to look at FRS radios or MURS radios. Those can be used by individuals and businesses. They are "License by Rule" which is the FCC term meaning you can use them without an issued license form the FCC as long as you follow all the rules for the appropriate sections of Part 95.
FRS radios will work well for short range use. As in retail, small manufacturing, etc.
MURS will give you more range in most cases.

Do not purchase anything until you figure out which direction you are going to go. If you are using FCC Part 90 frequencies there are some specific requirements about which radios you can legally use. Same goes for FRS and MURS. Do -not- purchase the low end Chinese radios you find on e-Bay, Amazon, Alibaba or similar websites. Many of these radios are not legal for use on business, FRS or MURS.

Since you are just starting down the path, make sure you do it right, abide by the rules and get good equipment.

Sunny222

Frequency for Baofeng

Hey I am a complete noob getting into radios, and I would like to know which FRS and MURS frequency I can use for baofeng radios.

lmrtek

Only the blister pack FRS radios are legal to use on FRS frequencies without a license.

Ditto for MURS

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Hey I am a complete noob getting into radios, and I would like to know which FRS and MURS frequency I can use for baofeng radios.

You can't.
The Baofeng radios don't meet the FCC requirements for legal use on FRS or MURS.

If FRS will work, get thee to WalMart and pick up a couple of Midland or Motorola radios.
If you need MURS, Ritron PT-150M is a good option. http://www.ritron.com/PTSeries-Ritron-2-Way-Radios

The Baofeng's have the low price that attracts a lot of people, but the don't meet the FCC requirements for what you want to do. For a bit more money you'll get a better quality and legal radio.

nd5y

You can only use FCC Part 95 certified equipment on FRS and MURS.
Baofeng radios aren't Part 95 certified so they are not legal to use on FRS or MURS.

devin_wight

Premium Subscriber
No, you need a FCC license to operate on those frequencies in the US. If you buy the radios you will need a license to operate them. You file and pay the fees online with the FCC (www.fcc.gov).
Alternatively, you can rent radios from another company and as part of the agreement operate under their license.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

devin_wight

Premium Subscriber
The Motorola DTR550 covers up to 350,000 square feet (30 floors) and does not require a license.

https://www.motorolasolutions.com/e...-radios/dtr-series/dtr550.html#tabproductinfo
Where it does not require a license to purchase, it does require a licenses to operate.

Per FCC, "Individuals or entities desiring to operate on frequencies listed in the Industrial/Business Pool are required to obtain a radio station license for these frequencies." https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau...ustrial-business-licensing#block-menu-block-4

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
Where it does not require a license to purchase, it does require a licenses to operate.

Per FCC, "Individuals or entities desiring to operate on frequencies listed in the Industrial/Business Pool are required to obtain a radio station license for these frequencies." https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau...ustrial-business-licensing#block-menu-block-4

The DTR (and DLR) series operate on the 900 MHz ISM license-free band so it does not require any FCC license to use it.
https://www.motorolasolutions.com/c...adios/dtr410/dtr550_and_dtr650_spec_sheet.pdf

devin_wight

Premium Subscriber
Status
Not open for further replies.