• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola Quantar VHF Repeaters

Status
Not open for further replies.

runamuk52

Hello all,
I just got 3 Motorola Quantar repeaters that were donated to our ARES group by our Sheriff's office, they did not give me the software as it is registered and they did not want that responsibility. So, have been looking and can't find the software anymore at the sites listed in this thread. Anyone know where i can get the RSS software still?

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Moved to its own thread.

And I just found RSS on Motorola Online...Radio Service Software R14.13.00

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Legally? You get it from Motorola, if they still sell it.
If Motorola no longer sells it, then you can often find it on line.

Make sure you pay close attention to the DC power requirements. Depending on the version and power supply module, they were 12 volt, 24 volt or 48 volt.

Also, there are two VHF splits on both the receiver cards and the exciter cards. 132-154MHz and 150-174MHz. Hopefully you've got the 132-154 models.

Nice score if you got them for free.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
I hope you have a service monitor as you can't just change the frequencies on these and expect them to work. You can get the 150-174 to go down to the ham bands, but they drop off for digital around 146. I have one set up on mixed-mode at 146.760 and it works great. Make sure you adjust the pre-selector before you align the receiver and make sure the mod-comp wave-form matches what's in the service manual for the transmit side.

I agree; nice find! They are built like tanks. I've got several up and running and knock on wood, I haven't had any trouble out of them except for a lighting strike took out part of the PA on one. Repaired the trace and it was good as new.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Great repeaters. Earlier this week I was PMing Quantars. Yesterday I was diagnosing a MASTR III and MASTR IV...every VHF Quantar I PM'd were at least 6 dB more sensitive than those MASTRs.

If you move them more 500 kHz you will have to re-tune the preselector. That entire process is in the service manual.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Great repeaters. Earlier this week I was PMing Quantars. Yesterday I was diagnosing a MASTR III and MASTR IV...every VHF Quantar I PM'd were at least 6 dB more sensitive than those MASTRs.

I'll second that.

I've got three in Amateur service now and they just keep ticking along.

The only fault I had was when the site owner powered down the repeater to do some antenna work. That was enough to disturb the dust and the power supply went boom. The site owner had a spare and I was back in business.

Still waiting for my 30 year old MSR2000 to die. MTR2000 wating in the wings for that day.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
I'll second that.

I've got three in Amateur service now and they just keep ticking along.

The only fault I had was when the site owner powered down the repeater to do some antenna work. That was enough to disturb the dust and the power supply went boom. The site owner had a spare and I was back in business.

Still waiting for my 30 year old MSR2000 to die. MTR2000 wating in the wings for that day.

Everyone I've been working on has been in commercial service.

Power supplies are the weak spot of the Quantar as well as the MTR3000. I have a customer (MR sold a non PS customer Quantars about 20 years ago) who has had 3 Quantars over the years. One died, it was replaced with a MTR2000. Another died and it was shelved for parts before being replaced by a MTR3000. That last remaining Quantar is my pride and joy as I've been using parts of the previous one to keep it running. One day the PS failed because the fan seized and it overheated...so I swapped in the "backup" PS and started an hour long burn in. 7 minutes in the fan seized (I was within earshot and saved it) so I ended up popping the rivets on the housing and replacing it. That Franken-Quantar currently has it's predecessor's receiver and power supply in it but it's still chugging a long.

The MTR2000 is up there with the Quantar as one of my favorites. I've got two dead ones at the house that I'm going to try and piece back together into one working one as an amateur repeater since most of my itinerant use is P25. I can't officially support them at work any longer though...IT issued me a Windows 10 laptop about 7 months ago and at that point, I haven't been able to support Waris, Astro, MTR2000 or 1225 series equipment. Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.