Help with PRO-2055 scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

w1av

Hello, I bought a Realistic Pro 2055 scanner from ebay and it will be arriving soon. I have been reading up on how to use the trunk programming aspect of it but I am still confused. I have a premium membership with Radio Reference so would it be possible to get help with trunking programming? I live in Rhode Island and the specific page on Radio Reference lists a bunch of trunking details for Providence and statewide communications via 800mhz. I am just unsure how to enter certain "codes" to get the trunking working. As far as I know the State Police, Providence Police, State Transportation, Prison, National Grid all use separate "groups" with "ID numbers"......confusing. I did read on here somewhere that to program this data you need to find the specific page for your area and enter certain frequencies and other numbers. I live pretty much in the middle of the state with pretty decent coverage. Can you have a bank with regular analog frequencies and another separate bank with trunking? My goal is to set up a bank with local fire/rescue, another bank with aircraft, another bank with trunking systems. Most towns in the state are still analog and some Police depts have gone digital but for the most part mostly still analog around here with exception of alot of the state agencies which have gone to trunking or digital.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I don't have a PRO-2055. However, this may be of some help:

Easier to Read Pro-97/2055 Scanner Manual
http://marksscanners.com/97/97.shtml

w1av

Wow thanks! Thats alot of information. I will spend some time reading and see if I can understand this radio a little more.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Regardless of which (modern) scanner you want to use, the best way to program it is with software. The software will handle all of the intracacies of setting things up. There is free software available for some scanners, others you might have to pay a small fee (~$30). Well worth it especially when it comes to trunked systems. Another place you can check out is the Wiki section here on RR.

nosig55

I use a Pro-2055 with a discriminator tap and DSDPlus fastlane. I am able to hear several digital P25 systems
around the area. I have a Home Patrol 1 and a Pro-106, the 2055 does just as well as they do. Not portable but it does the job, and also records 24 hrs a day.

w1av

Pro 2055

I got the Pro 2055 just as a general purpose scanner for regular analog and trunking and to replace the piece of junk Whistler ws1025. I am planning on getting a NEW BCD996xt shortly for digital. I'd be interested in what the discriminator tap does and if it is worth the bother to mod.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Nope. If the scanner decodes digital already, there is no reason to tap the discriminator. It's easy to do; Uniden clearly marks the point on the circuit board. There just isn't much benefit with a digital scanner.

nosig55

I got the Pro 2055 just as a general purpose scanner for regular analog and trunking and to replace the piece of junk Whistler ws1025. I am planning on getting a NEW BCD996xt shortly for digital. I'd be interested in what the discriminator tap does and if it is worth the bother to mod.

If you look at the wiki link above your post, it tells about the tap. It's a matter of soldering a resistor and a small capacitor and running that wire to your computer. It plugs into the mic or line in and then you run a program dsdplus. You program your scanner for the frequencies of the system you want but not the control channels. With a little tinkering you can pick up about anything digital. It could be P25 or DMR. It's not difficult if you can solder on a circuit board. I use a pro-2055 and a pro-2006. The 2006 is about 20 years old but can be used to decode digital radio today. If you program your 2055 for a digital frequency and turn up the volume you will just hear a buzzing sound but that sound can be decoded to talking. You can edit the dsdplus program to show the talk groups and other info on who is talking. I think it's pretty cool.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Discriminator Tap

I have a scanner (or 2) dedicated to feeding audio into a computer (from a discriminator tap) running UniTrunker. I use that to "see" what is happening on the many trunked systems around me. This is not something for the casual listener.

trp2525

Hello, I bought a Realistic Pro 2055 scanner from ebay and it will be arriving soon...

If you need the Radio Shack Quick Start Guide or the Owner's Manual for your PRO-2055 scanner (Radio Shack catalog number 20-428) here are the links:

PRO-2055 Quick Start Guide: http://www.radiopics.com/1. Manuals/Radio Shack - Realistic/PRO-2055 (Quick Start Guide).pdf

PRO-2055 Owner's Manual: http://www.radiopics.com/1. Manuals/Radio Shack - Realistic/PRO-2055 (Owner's Manual).pdf

Lastly if you need the PC programming cable for your "new" PRO-2055, here's a link to a compatible aftermarket cable on eBay for $22.95 with FREE shipping included: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Radio-Shac...O-197-PRO-651-PRO-652-20-546-500/151446649833

w1av

re: Pro 2055 help

I got my Pro 2055 in mail today....really nice and looks brand new. Got if from Ebay. I have been intently reading the manual. I was able to program about 30 channels in bank 1 with the usual local stuff. I wiped all the data in all other banks. I figured out how to use the text mode to give each frequency a name. But I am confused about trunking. I'd like to see how it works but the instructions ask for things I dont understand. The radio will hear a few different types of systems, Motorola 1 & 2, EDACS, LTR..........It appears you have to get into function mode and select the type of system. But first you need to decide what channel in what bank. I am using bank 1 to store all local analog freqs. Now that I got that part figured out. Next I will have to figure out how to assign frequencies ctcss and dcs. Havent gotten that far yet. So I plan to use bank 2 for trunking freqs. I need to find the control freqs? But for what agency? Or company? No clue. Seems like the state prison is using some kind of frequency hopping technique.....I found about 8 frequencies on 800mhz that come in loud and clear. But I am scanning them in the conventional way. Probably a trunking system. Not sure. Any help will be appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.