HF aircraft frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have a good list of all the HF aeronautical frequencies? I have an Eton E5 SSB reciever and I'd like to start listening to HF aircraft. I am in Massachusetts. Are there any region specific HF frequencies?

TRFD

Premium Subscriber
For your location the WATRS (Western Atlantic Route System) covers the airspace off the east coast of the US down to the Caribbean.

New York Radio-HF 3494 / 6640 / 8933 / 11342 / 17925 / 21964

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
And I wouldn't ignore some of the others as well. There are many in different parts of the world - if traffic starts showing up a lot on an area that's not local to you, you may assume that propagation favors you there. I know several folks that use these, as well as various VOLMET stations, as 'beacons' to see if propagation is working from there

Mike

D

DaveNF2G

For your location the WATRS (Western Atlantic Route System) covers the airspace off the east coast of the US down to the Caribbean.

New York Radio-HF 3494 / 6640 / 8933 / 11342 / 17925 / 21964

To cover that area, one would need to monitor many more frequencies than that. Those are for just one MWARA.

majoco

Stirrer
Right. Here you go - a text file dated last year when some changes were made. It's a text file but if you copy it onto an xls file it should be arranged better.... You can ignore the last three columns which were to control my SDR. The frequencies are in Hz.

Last edited:

Floridasand

Thanks to all who provided these lists. I used to work at the various Military HF airway stations and also worked aircraft with AIRINC so this is great for me to go back and listen to some of the frequencies that I actually used to talk to aircraft.

Dana
N7UFT

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Perhaps. HF isn't like VHF- it's largely dependent on how the ionosphere and the Sun are interacting. That is a very loose description of what we call propagation - how signals get from point A to point B. It's more than a little OT here, but let me just conclude by giving the general rules (and yes, at times there are exceptions)

a. Listen above 10 Mhz during the day, below this at night
b. For you to have a chance, both you and the target should be on the same side (day or night)
c. The better the receiver and antenna, and the more you understand how this works, the better your chances will be.

C'mon over to the HF Utilities forum if you want more...Mike

majoco

Stirrer
There is a deal of confusion by some guys I have spoken to about LDOC. They seem to think that LDOC is ATC but it's not. LDOC is a system set up by ARINC to enable US based airline companies to talk to their aircraft via a central office in New York and some other places on a chosen few frequencies.

ATC works on MWARA sites throughout the world and the aircraft are controlled via local HF radio and ATC controllers. If an airline operator wants to talk to one of their aircraft then they have their own selection of frequencies to choose from based in their own country but I guess they can also subscribe to the ARINC LDOC system if they fly into or across the US.

For more clarity about the MWARA frequencies it's all in the Wiki...

https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/MWARA#LDOC_-_Long_Distance_Operational_Control

...but straight from the horses mouth, that is ICAO, this doc is all about MWARA in the North Atlantic - absolutely no mention of LDOC...

https://www.liveatc.net/downloads/NAT-HF-Guidance.pdf

Last edited:
D

DaveNF2G

Does anyone have a breakdown of the LDOC HF network in terms of ground station locations and airlines that still use them? I haven't heard a peep on any LDOC frequency in years.

majoco

Stirrer
Here is a very small sample of a 700kB xls file that I have called "all Aero" - just a couple of frequencies seem to very popular worldwide. If you PM me with your email address I can send you the full list.

Attachments

• LDOC Sample.txt
    2.7 KB · Views: 129
Status
Not open for further replies.