Best base scanner for CT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanner404

Feed Provider
Looking to upgrade to a digital base scanner and was wondering which scanner would be my best option. Is the BCD536HP needed for this area or could I get by with a 996P2? I want to monitor CSP, Suffield, Enfield and other areas in Hartford county that have gone digital. Obviously encrypted agencies like Bristol PD are out. Also do I need to purchase programming software, or is there a free one I can download online?

SVFC462

Feed Provider
Freescan is free
Proscan is $50 for a one time fee

BCD536HP is like any other home patrol where you add in the zip code and select what you want to hear.

BCD996P2 I find to be a better scanner for me because i can program it the way I want to listen to towns and agencies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Sentinel is free for the 536. So are weekly database updates. The 536 is also one of the best scanners for handling simulcast.

NYRHKY94

If you go with a Uniden scanner, it's worth giving ProScan software a try. They have a fully-functional "free" 30-day trial. Best all-in-one programming/streaming/remote control software on the market IMO. Nothing to lose with the free trial. I have the 536HP and 996P2. Both units are very nice.

scanner404

Feed Provider
Thanks for the input, I purchased the 996P2, hopefully I can figure out the programming.

Firebuff66

Feed Provider
Thanks for the input, I purchased the 996P2, hopefully I can figure out the programming.

Good choice, I have 4-BCD996P2 and a BCD536 and the 996 are much better and easier to use and customize.
I have a TRX2 also and anything is better than that scanner in analog, Digital its ok

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber

I have the 996P2 also and it has worked good for me so far, plus I added the DMR upgrade since there are some services I listen to that are on DMR in my area. I have two original 996T scanners so I already knew the functioning of the 996P2.

I have both the ARC and FreeScan programming software, each has their advantages / disadvantages but are pretty similar.

scanner404

Feed Provider
So far so good, this scanner really picks up frequencies a lot better than any of my RS scanners. The one question I have so far is how do I turn off the talk groups I don't wanna hear with Hartford's EDACS system. I have the police, fire and EMS talk groups in there, but I am still picking up other, non-emergency talk groups. For example it says "Main ID:i7898" and it's two guys talking about their vacation time.

Private Calls

So far so good, this scanner really picks up frequencies a lot better than any of my RS scanners. The one question I have so far is how do I turn off the talk groups I don't wanna hear with Hartford's EDACS system. I have the police, fire and EMS talk groups in there, but I am still picking up other, non-emergency talk groups. For example it says "Main ID:i7898" and it's two guys talking about their vacation time.

You're hearing ICalls (Private unit-to-unit transmissions)

NYRHKY94

Scanner404:

Do you have Search ID enabled for the system in question? If so, you will pick up every talk group including departments you would rather not hear. Scan ID will only stop on the talk groups you have programmed.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
Good choice, I have 4-BCD996P2 and a BCD536 and the 996 are much better and easier to use and customize.

The 996 is not easier to use and customize. You have to get a handle on how to set up the 536HP the way you want, and you might find that you think that it is definitely easier to use and customize..

Check out the Sentinel Easier to Read Manual :

BCDX36HP Sentinel Software Manual

scanner404

Feed Provider
Scanner404:

Do you have Search ID enabled for the system in question? If so, you will pick up every talk group including departments you would rather not hear. Scan ID will only stop on the talk groups you have programmed.

yep, that was the problem, thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.