• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Professional CPS Help Menu Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
I recently obtained a new/different laptop for my radio programming. It is running 64bit Windows 7. It runs well and I haven't had any issues installing my programs. However I have noticed that I can no longer access the Help menu within the Motorola Professional Series CPS. Anyone else have similar issues?

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
I've yet to get Pro CPS working properly when it comes to reading/writing radios on a 64 bit base. Couldn't do it on my Win 7 machine and can't do it now on my Win 10 machine.

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
The Help Menu is the only feature that I have not been able to get to work. Everything else seems to function normally.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
I've yet to get Pro CPS working properly when it comes to reading/writing radios on a 64 bit base. Couldn't do it on my Win 7 machine and can't do it now on my Win 10 machine.

See my previous post regarding Win 7. Be advised this file will not work under windows 10. Plenty of details to be found about the problem. Search on "Windows 10 help file" without the quotes.

Pro CPS has to be R06.12.05 or newer to run on the newer machines. Even then it doesn't like some 64 bit systems.

I bought a used Toughbook CF-29 with Win XP and a serial port last year. It is rock solid and runs BOTH Pro and Commercial CPS flawlessly. All the help files work properly without any added executables.

Last edited:

BlueDevil

Feed Provider

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
You helped more people than you may have realized. Thanks!
Actually, the issue with winhelp for the newer versions of windows is easily found with an internet search. It only took me a few minutes to discover the issue and the fix.

But, I am glad that folks are reading and heeding the info in my post.

FWIW, the winhelp fix is available for any version of Windows prior to 10 and after XP. You have to find the right winhelp for your version of windows, and then it's a snap. Those of us running Win 10 are out of luck, I am afraid. That's why my trusty Toughbook CF-29 with XP Pro is so valuable to me.

daugherh

When I had Windows 10 on my laptop I could use the Pro CPS and execute the help files with WinHelp32. Here's where I found info on it: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_install-insiderplat_pc/winhlp32-do-we-have-to-go-through-this-again/ddcc2f40-e4f3-407b-9672-ee8a2b08a71e and scroll down to the post from Alan Copp that starts off "Here is a solution (thanks to Komeil Bahmanpour): Go to his site."

It then links you to this page: Windows Help Program (WinHlp32.exe) for Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 x64 and x86 - Komeil Bahmanpour and follow the instructions. It took me a few attempts (even running with the administrator account on Windows 10) and I believe a few google searches but I was successfully able to make it run.

As always when working with Windows and internet sites, you mileage may vary and I am only posting this for those wishing to make it work. I take no responsibility if you break your machine...you have backups...right?

Hope this helps and I'll try to answer any questions I can of which I remember!!

Have a great day!

paulbarwick

Thank You!!!

See my previous post regarding Win 7. Be advised this file will not work under windows 10. Plenty of details to be found about the problem. Search on "Windows 10 help file" without the quotes.

Pro CPS has to be R06.12.05 or newer to run on the newer machines. Even then it doesn't like some 64 bit systems.

I bought a used Toughbook CF-29 with Win XP and a serial port last year. It is rock solid and runs BOTH Pro and Commercial CPS flawlessly. All the help files work properly without any added executables.

Steve, thank you so much. Working off of your answer and some of the following posts I was able to finally access "CPS Help" . AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.