BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Reception better lying flat

Status
Not open for further replies.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
Hello all,

Last night, I was playing with my 436 while debating what to do on, what appears to be, the simulcast issue.

I only have the Ohio MARCS-IP system programmed in, specifically Cincinnati and parts of Hamilton and Butler counties. I was picking up Cincinnati with no issue, but could not hear Butler County. I would see the alpha tag for Hamilton FD but no audio. Frustrated, I laid the scanner on its back to walk away and audio started pouring through. If I stood it upright, the audio disappeared.

Any thoughts on why this would occur? I can’t imagine a better antenna would help but I have been surprised in the past on how a good antenna can help.

brucebuck1010

Premium Subscriber
Yep, been there done that. Also, I've used 90 degree adaptors to get different angles on the antenna. Also used paper clips to various degrees. Used beam antennas mounted on a tripod. Its not about maximum signal strength. It's about trying to get a signal from only one tower. I'm in Mongomery Co OH, and I gave up on my 436 for MARCS. I now use a Unication G4 with almost perfect reception.

belvdr

Yep, been there done that. Also, I've used 90 degree adaptors to get different angles on the antenna. Also used paper clips to various degrees. Used beam antennas mounted on a tripod. Its not about maximum signal strength. It's about trying to get a signal from only one tower. I'm in Mongomery Co OH, and I gave up on my 436 for MARCS. I now use a Unication G4 with almost perfect reception.
I'm also considering the same. It really hasn't performed well enough on MARCS to justify the cost.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
I don't have simulcast issues on my two local P25 systems, or in St. Louis when I travel..so this is an idea.

But, doesn't each P25 tower have it's own NAC code? Program that in to your scanner, so it ignores the simulcast from another tower on the same frequency.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Frustrated, I laid the scanner on its back to walk away and audio started pouring through. If I stood it upright, the audio disappeared.

Any thoughts on why this would occur? I can’t imagine a better antenna would help but I have been surprised in the past on how a good antenna can help.

I some cases where there is a difference between simulcast tower signal strengths, but they are close enough in strength to cause interference, attenuating the RF signal just enough to push the weaker signal to the noise floor will improve the decode error rate. In your case, laying the antenna horizontal just happened to attenuate the signal just the right amount. A variable attenuator would allow you to adjust the attenuation amount to find the sweet spot between obliterating all of the towers' signals (too much attenuation) and having simulcast interference (not enough).

A better approach for a base station is to purchase a Yagi or similar directional antenna, and aim it so that you are primarily receiving a signal from one simulcast site. But of course that is not practical for handheld or mobile use.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
But, doesn't each P25 tower have it's own NAC code? Program that in to your scanner, so it ignores the simulcast from another tower on the same frequency.

Seriously?

Every tower in a simulcast system broadcasts the exact same data (including NAC) on the exact same frequency as every other tower. That is what causes the reception problem--identical signals from different towers arrive out of phase with each other, and interfere with each other.

belvdr

I some cases where there is a difference between simulcast tower signal strengths, but they are close enough in strength to cause interference, attenuating the RF signal just enough to push the weaker signal to the noise floor will improve the decode error rate. In your case, laying the antenna horizontal just happened to attenuate the signal just the right amount. A variable attenuator would allow you to adjust the attenuation amount to find the sweet spot between obliterating all of the towers' signals (too much attenuation) and having simulcast interference (not enough).

A better approach for a base station is to purchase a Yagi or similar directional antenna, and aim it so that you are primarily receiving a signal from one simulcast site. But of course that is not practical for handheld or mobile use.
Stuffing the yagi into the car is such a pain though. :)

So, aside from a yagi, a better rubber duck is likely not to help this, correct?

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
Seriously?

Every tower in a simulcast system broadcasts the exact same data (including NAC) on the exact same frequency as every other tower. That is what causes the reception problem--identical signals from different towers arrive out of phase with each other, and interfere with each other.

Seriously.

belvdr

Seriously?

Calm down, man. :) It's all good.

I think it is a valid question, because I do not have an intricate understanding of these systems. It's possible that guy/gal is in the same boat as me and is just trying to help.

jdolina

Premium Subscriber
Have you tried setting the simulcast site to manual 8. I then go into analyze which helps find the best antenna placement. This has worked well for me with Marcs-ip simulcast sites.

belvdr

Have you tried setting the simulcast site to manual 8. I then go into analyze which helps find the best antenna placement. This has worked well for me with Marcs-ip simulcast sites.
Manual 8? Are you referring to the threshold?

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
I'm curious when you say you have almost perfect reception. I have 100% perfect reception with MARCS...what are you experiencing?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I think it is a valid question, because I do not have an intricate understanding of these systems.

As a general rule, you should not offer advice unless you have an understanding of the subject matter. it generally causes more problems than it solves.

brucebuck1010

Premium Subscriber
Stuffing the yagi into the car is such a pain though. :)

So, aside from a yagi, a better rubber duck is likely not to help this, correct?

Back when I was fumbling around with MARCS-IP on my 436, I pretty much had best results with the Miracle Baby antenna, made by Comet. Hope that helps!

-Bruce

belvdr

As a general rule, you should not offer advice unless you have an understanding of the subject matter. it generally causes more problems than it solves.
I agree, but sometimes one doesn't know that they don't know. At the same time, a perceived snarky response also causes more problems than it solves. :)

I appreciate the help.

brucebuck1010

Premium Subscriber
I'm curious when you say you have almost perfect reception. I have 100% perfect reception with MARCS...what are you experiencing?

Where I live (southern Montgomery County, OH), I am pretty much equidistant between two towers, so I get terrible reception with the 436 on Ohio MARCS-IP- I miss so much that it's not worth it. But the Unication P4 (with it's many limitations) works very well for me. YMMV

-Bruce

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Manual 8? Are you referring to the threshold?

Yes. 8 may or may not be the best setting. If you press the scroll knob, then Function, then the scroll again, the 436 will display P25 decode parameters, including the threshold level and decode error rate. Activate this display before you switch to Manual, and watch the threshold level to see where it is when you have the lowest decode error rate. That will be your best Manual threshold value.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Back when I was fumbling around with MARCS-IP on my 436, I pretty much had best results with the Miracle Baby antenna, made by Comet.

The Miracle Baby is just a tiny antenna that attenuates the signal because it isn't very sensitive. IF you are located in a simulcast area where attenuation has a chance of helping, it may help if it attenuates the signal just the right amount. But the odds are that in most cases it will not help. A variable attenuator is more likely to be helpful because you can adjust the amount of attenuation. A directional antenna is even more likely to be helpful, except for mobile/handheld use.

belvdr

Yes. 8 may or may not be the best setting. If you press the scroll knob, then Function, then the scroll again, the 436 will display P25 decode parameters, including the threshold level and decode error rate. Activate this display before you switch to Manual, and watch the threshold level to see where it is when you have the lowest decode error rate. That will be your best Manual threshold value.
Awesome, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.