PSR-800: Trouble up dating DSP and Firmware for my GRE800 thats now a WS1080

Status
Not open for further replies.
had this problem last year trying to up date the CPU the scanner is saying Waiting for USB tired 3 different cable still stuck on Waiting for USB can't seem to get the scanner to do anythng.
i did look threw many posts can't find the answer.

Dave

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Try a new usb cable, then make sure the comport driver is installed and working by trying to set the clock via ezscan, if not, uninstall it and reinstall, if using win10 or any version of 8 you must use the procedure for installing unsigned drivers, see whistler site for it.

well that did not work i have 3 USB Cables and i know all 3 can't be bad.i did set the clock nothing i'm using WindowsXP i also used GREFTool when i did the change from GRE-800 to the WS1080 if that makes a difference just stuck in Waiting For USB.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
I take it this is a hacked psr-800 from you saying you used grefwtool, You will have to send it to Whistler for the legacy upgrade. THe GREFWTOOL has been abandoned and removed from the internet.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
I think the scanner will still work.

Just not for DMR.

No, he has semi bricked it trying to update it after 7/01/2017 date due to the time bomb code whistler put in the late June version of dsp firmware ver 3.1

DJ11DLN

when i get the $89 i will sent it in to have it fixed should of known NOTHING IS FOR FREE lol
One of the few things I've learned in 56 years is that there are some free things in this world but most of them end up costing us dearly in the long run, LOL.

You won't be disappointed with the upgrades. My Pro-18 and -668, especially the latter, work so much better after the upgrade than they did with their native FW that it was well worth the cost. What the heck, I got both of them cheap enough on various close outs or fire sales that I still have a good bit less than standard retail in them.

Sorry for your troubles, I hope you get it all sorted out soon. Broke ain't no fun, I've been there a number of times in my life!

i got hurt working on the job been out of work 3 months still seeing a doctor 3 times a week i will get the money to send it in soon.when i got this GRE-800 i paid $410 so its cheaper to have it fixed than buying another scanner.

Nasby

No, he has semi bricked it trying to update it after 7/01/2017 date due to the time bomb code whistler put in the late June version of dsp firmware ver 3.1

Oh wow. I remember the thread about the time bomb but I didn't think it ruined the entire scanner!

I thought it just wiped out DMR.

Not to get off track, but his scanner is completely disabled now?

Swipesy

As I recall the history, without going back and looking, when Whistler killed the hack, they also damaged the scanner chip. After much ado, Whistler agreed to replace the chip and update the scanners to the WS-1080. Thus the $89.00 charge. A fair move on Whistlers part for those who hacked.

Status
Not open for further replies.