Howard County fixing radio system issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Hmmm wonder who they had for the back haul..AT&T? Is a good thing they can pop over to SAFE-T when they have to.

bdub5

That one guy...
The back haul are microwave links. Supposedly there was interface on one of the microwave channels.

Hopefully they get it fixed. It is no fun fighting a fire or chasing someone without reliable radios.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
EFJ/Kenwood maintains the primary system. Not sure who the contractor for the fiber, and microwave parts is. I know for the SAFE-T that is AT&T. And IPSC and Motorola is none too happy with AT&T lol... They are the reason SAFE-T had so many issues on the upgrades.

I didn't know EFJ had a national tech force, figured it would be a local dealer.

I looked on ULS for microwave licenses, other than Duke and cell carriers ERS is the only one I see above 5 GHz.
I don't have much microwave experience but I don't recall hearing much about RFI in that band due to the licensing restrictions. I know that vegetation growth and new construction cause problems with paths that had been good over the years.

I wonder if a WISP has a 5 GHz AP that's spewing RFI.

jwheatley

EFJ/Kenwood maintains the primary system. Not sure who the contractor for the fiber, and microwave parts is. I know for the SAFE-T that is AT&T. And IPSC and Motorola is none too happy with AT&T lol... They are the reason SAFE-T had so many issues on the upgrades.

J&K Communications is the local contractor/vendor.

I know for the SAFE-T that is AT&T. And IPSC and Motorola is none too happy with AT&T lol... They are the reason SAFE-T had so many issues on the upgrades.

I remember when this discussion was going on in the SAFE-T thread, I found it ironic that a company that started out in the land line business should be having so many problems in that area.

In the mid 80s they sold off a bunch of microwave sites after they switched to fiber, my cousin bought a bunch.
A few years later he sold one back to them for a cell site at 3 or 4 times what they sold it for.

But have no fear - First net is here.

Status
Not open for further replies.