Refurbished sale - Refurbished or just repackaged?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RocketNJ

Received my TRX-2 from the recent refurbished sale and not pleased. Looks like they just took the scanner as received and repackaged it. See picture.

Most of the marks you see could be wiped off but still some scratches in the display. Case was also filthy. No one cleaned it at Whistler.

Other electronics manufacturers will replace parts to make the unit look new. The plastic displays on the TRX-1 and TRX-2 are VERY soft and if not careful can be scrated easily.

What does Whistler define refurbished to mean?

Attachments

• file-3.jpg
    file-3.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 1,021

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
According to Whistlers refurb page...

"Refurbished items have been restored to their original factory condition and have been tested for quality assurance"

One could argue that is not the original factory condition. They had the option to put them as scratch & dent.

WILSON43

Premium Subscriber
I would establish a serious dialogue with Whistler and negotiate an additional discount to a "scratch and dent" price. That is NOT factory refurb condition and if more units arrive in that condition they are guilty of misleading and mis-representing the items.

trp2525

...Other electronics manufacturers will replace parts to make the unit look new...

I agree completely. I previously purchased a Uniden BCD396XT handheld scanner that had been factory refurbished by Uniden. It arrived in pristine brand-new condition without any cosmetic blemishes whatsoever. The ONLY indication I could find that I had received a refurbished scanner was a decal/sticker that had been placed on the battery compartment cover that stated "Factory Serviced." At the time I paid about $100 less than the going retail price for a "brand-new" scanner so I was quite pleased with my Uniden factory refurb.

wbswetnam

Actually it doesn't look that bad to me, but I guess I don't mind some minor scratching of the display if I got it for a refurb price.

K9DAK

Premium Subscriber
My refurb'd TRX-1 arrived last week in pristine condition. Is that pic after you peeled off the protective film from the display?

Received my TRX-2 from the recent refurbished sale and not pleased. Looks like they just took the scanner as received and repackaged it. See picture.

Most of the marks you see could be wiped off but still some scratches in the display. Case was also filthy. No one cleaned it at Whistler.

Other electronics manufacturers will replace parts to make the unit look new. The plastic displays on the TRX-1 and TRX-2 are VERY soft and if not careful can be scrated easily.

What does Whistler define refurbished to mean?

bearcat780

Almost looks like the protective film over the display since it is not "glossy".
It has a peel back look in the lower left of the display where you could grab it and peel off?

RocketNJ

Update - Was the protective film but still have a small chip/scratch in lower portion of display. Like it was banged while the film was on.

The case was dirty. Used some Windex on a cloth to clean it. Definitely dirt.

SD card contacts were dirty. Kept getting Error Code: 4-00. Cleaned contacts with De-Oxit Red then treated with De-Oxit Gold. Formatted the card in my laptop and now have it programmed with local DMR PD set to record while I am out. Want to see how it does with a RAS system. I set it to record since they aren't that active on the radio. Can go over an hour without a transmission.

Update - while typing it received one transmission out of three on the DMR repeater. Not good. This is the issue that Whistler and Uniden both have with RAS systems. Once they determine the transmission is a voice transmission the call is over. Going to feed IF out to PC and run DSD+ Fast Lane to check decoding. DSD+ with SDR dongle decodes 100%

Still irks me with issue on SD card. Just goes to show lack of attention to detail.

frazpo

In reference to the DMR receive - I have read in this forum about the squelch being rather quirky on the TRX's. I am fairly new to the TRX myself, I am more seasoned with Unidens. Maybe someone can elaborate on the squelch setting more than I can.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
The refurbished TRX-1 I received last week looks/works great. I have also purchased a scratch and dent scanner from Whistler and it had a few slight scratches, as expected. I am pleased with both.

Based on your posts RocketNJ, it appears you received a scratch and dent...and then some. Clearly they should have included aspirin with your purchase.

DJ11DLN

I bought a 1095 on the a refurb sale last year and it looked -- and worked -- like factory new. I wouldn't be happy with one arriving in that condition either, regardless of discount.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
In reference to the DMR receive - I have read in this forum about the squelch being rather quirky on the TRX's. I am fairly new to the TRX myself, I am more seasoned with Unidens. Maybe someone can elaborate on the squelch setting more than I can.

TRX-2 squelch should be set between 9 and 11 for best results. I usually keep mine at 11, YMMV.

1098 refurb looked like brand new; TRX-2 'refurb' looked like yours- like they didn't even test it or clean it up- should be in scratch and dent instead of 'refurbished', IMO.
So TRX-2 squelch set at 10 o'clock.
What about NXDN on these scanners? DMR should already be in the TRX series- isn't it?
For NXDN, is a firmware or software update required?
I also assume one CANNOT use their 1080 program in the TRX radios?

Is there a way to do a CSV Excel export of frequency/talkgroup data from your 1080 and then modify it in Excel and then import it into EZ SCAN for use on a TRX radio, or is there another software package that would allow you to do that?

WILSON43

Premium Subscriber
Any refurbished I ever purchased from Uniden or Amazon, etc were
Like new and flawless. At 400 bucks in that condition Whistler needs to make it right.
For 100 or so more you can get a brand new factory sealed TRX2 at Amazon.

Wendy ?

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Whistler should be a little more forthcoming regarding the condition of their 'refurbished' equipment.

I'm really anal about the cosmetic condition of anything I own. For that reason, I seldom buy 'refurbished' or used equipment unless I can't find it new somewhere. I got burned one time when I bought a used PRO-2006. It was filthy! It looked like the previous owner ate bacon with his hands while using it. It had a greasy film on it with dirt/dust embedded into it. The stench of cigarettes just about gagged me. I have been lucky to find used equipment that I couldn't tell from being brand new.

That being said, if I wanted a scanner to put in my work truck, garage, boat, cottage, I might not be so picky. If I could save a decent amount, I'd probably overlook it and not worry about it. To each his own.

WILSON43

Premium Subscriber
I agree 100%, but at a selling price new of over $500 for a TRx2 in most places you can understand folks looking to save some money. However, I am surprised at the silence from Whistler on this. We all know Wendy et al monitor these postings, and while it is great to take the praise for things well done or when posting new updates, it is also great when a company realizes a goof and makes things right.

It is dishonest to list items as refurbished, which usually means back to like new condition, and then sell what is basically scratch and dent units or straight out returns. At $400 there is just not enough savings involved for used, scratch and dent.

I give credit to the OP for not raising bloody hell and demanding a partial refund or some consideration from Whistler. I would have for sure.

RocketNJ

Just a note - I have not heard back from Whistler on this forum nor have I tried to contact their tech support.

I have cleaned the scanner (which should have been done when they refurbished it) and it appears to be working as new. Had to clean and condition contacts on the SD card using De-Oxit.(was getting Code:4-00 errors).

Decoding of DMR RAS conventional still only 60 ~ 80%. Same with Uniden 436 & 536 so feeding IF out of TRX-2 to DSD+ Fast Lane. Feeding that to a RR Broadcastify Internet feed.

I agree 100%, but at a selling price new of over $500 for a TRx2 in most places you can understand folks looking to save some money. However, I am surprised at the silence from Whistler on this. We all know Wendy et al monitor these postings, and while it is great to take the praise for things well done or when posting new updates, it is also great when a company realizes a goof and makes things right.

It is dishonest to list items as refurbished, which usually means back to like new condition, and then sell what is basically scratch and dent units or straight out returns. At $400 there is just not enough savings involved for used, scratch and dent.

I give credit to the OP for not raising bloody hell and demanding a partial refund or some consideration from Whistler. I would have for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.