• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Strange Ground Plane Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowWalker

I have a 22' Wilson, Ringo Style antenna on the roof of our house. The antenna is mounted inside of the metal, 2" plumbing vent pipe. The roof has asphalt-tar shingles Is this giving me any sort of ground plane? My SWR stays around 1.2 - 1.5 for the most part (except when it is raining). I seem to be getting out and receiving just fine; however, I am just puzzled about the ground plane issue. Basically, do I need ground plane with me existing setup or is everything copacetic the way it is? Now, if do need a ground plane on this verticale, single pole antenna, how does one go about building a ground plane plate and installing it?

Last edited:

prcguy

That antenna is probably a 5/8 wave being 22ft long. The Cushcraft Ringo series were half wave and did not require any ground plane. Its hard to say if a ground plane would improve your antenna but its worth a try. Your asphalt shingles are not a ground plane.

You could try attaching three or four wires about 9ft long each to the grounded base of the antenna below the tuning ring using a hose clamp and stretch them out in all directions. You may have to retune the antenna after adding the ground radials and it would be a good idea to get a signal level check from someone nearby before and after putting on the ground plane.
prcguy

I have a 22' Wilson, Ringo Style antenna on the roof of our house. The antenna is mounted inside of the metal, 2" plumbing vent pipe. The roof has asphalt-tar shingles Is this giving me any sort of ground plane? My SWR stays around 1.2 - 1.5 for the most part (except when it is raining). I seem to be getting out and receiving just fine; however, I am just puzzled about the ground plane issue. Basically, do I need ground plane with me existing setup or is everything copacetic the way it is? Now, if do need a ground plane on this verticale, single pole antenna, how does one go about building a ground plane plate and installing it?

SnowWalker

Yes, it's a 5/8 wave and I am going to try the three wire setup to see if makes any difference to the signal output.

Thank you

SnowWalker

Antenna is inside of the metal vent pipe? I don't see how it works at all?

Frank

The antenna base has a rubber bushing between the two metals. The SWR is consistently between 1.2 - 1.5,the mod is between 75% - 85% consistently so something seems to be working. The only problem I could possibly be having is the coax is taped to the clothe line guy wires.

mrlightfoot

look up maco alpha 5/8 base, very similar to your antenna but with ground radials might give you some idea how to make them

JayMojave

Hello SnowWalker: Request a few photos of the 22 Foot Ringo Antenna be posted. Especially at the matching assembly.

These Ringo Antennas are still manufactured by Cushcraft, and sold by the ham radio retailers. They are all 1/2 wavelength long for there designed frequency.

So having a 22 foot long Ringo on the CB Band probably means someone modified it from a 1/2 wave 18 feet, to a 5/8 wave being 22 feet. And with the said VSWR neat-O.

Cushcraft makes a model AR-10 that is 17.6 feet tall, possibility modified for the CB Band?

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert

SnowWalker

Hello SnowWalker: Request a few photos of the 22 Foot Ringo Antenna be posted. Especially at the matching assembly.

These Ringo Antennas are still manufactured by Cushcraft, and sold by the ham radio retailers. They are all 1/2 wavelength long for there designed frequency.

So having a 22 foot long Ringo on the CB Band probably means someone modified it from a 1/2 wave 18 feet, to a 5/8 wave being 22 feet. And with the said VSWR neat-O.

Cushcraft makes a model AR-10 that is 17.6 feet tall, possibility modified for the CB Band?

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert

Posted a picture of the set up last fall. Ths antenna came out of a sealed box from Wilson in Las Vegas. The box was, is marked as a 5/8 wave. It took some effort to tune the thing properly. It has been working just fine for my radios. I will take a couple of pictures of the setup and post it. (if I remember how to post pics on this forum.

JayMojave

Posted a picture of the set up last fall. Ths antenna came out of a sealed box from Wilson in Las Vegas. The box was, is marked as a 5/8 wave. It took some effort to tune the thing properly. It has been working just fine for my radios. I will take a couple of pictures of the setup and post it. (if I remember how to post pics on this forum.

Wow from a sealed box from Wilson, wow I learned something. Are the assembly instruction sill available?

If the incredible high impedance of a 1/2 wavelength antenna can be matched, then so can the impedance of a 5/8 wavelength antenna be matched. So how does the antenna work without the ground plane radials, uses the coax and mast?

Might need to make one for testing...

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert It takes a few days to get ready for camping, and a few weeks after, to fix all the stuff after the 4 wheel runs and such. Miss Dinah's fillin station can get all the replacement parts needed in just a few days. Gotta pay up front tho.

SnowWalker

Wow from a sealed box from Wilson, wow I learned something. Are the assembly instruction sill available?

If the incredible high impedance of a 1/2 wavelength antenna can be matched, then so can the impedance of a 5/8 wavelength antenna be matched. So how does the antenna work without the ground plane radials, uses the coax and mast?

Might need to make one for testing...

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert It takes a few days to get ready for camping, and a few weeks after, to fix all the stuff after the 4 wheel runs and such. Miss Dinah's fillin station can get all the replacement parts needed in just a few days. Gotta pay up front tho.

I will scan the instructions and get them to you some how. It's all the up and up.

Does this link still work? It's a year old. http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/lesand1/media/bWVkaWFJZDo5MjQ5NDY1/?ref=

It still works but takes some time to load.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.