C Crane CC Witness

Status
Not open for further replies.

midwestsw

Anyone have one of these, (the original non-plus version) ?
Have been on the hunt for a programmable am/fm digital recording radio. Surprisingly very little available,
especially with am band. I like late night talk radio and other formats that are not always convenient
time-wise to catch. So a radio that is essentially dvr-like...
Well, I scored one off that auction site, it has all the original accessories, manual, and even the
box, appears lightly used, and under $100.00. Due to arrive tomorrow. Just wondering what I can
expect for sensitivity, stability, mainly on the am band ? From what I have researched, it has just
an internal ferrite for am without an external jack but the headphones can serve as an fm antenna. Tips, advice, welcome.

Boombox

Being that no one said anything, I would guess it would work well on AM and FM, considering the small loopstick. It's probably DSP chipped, which may mean it will work well for distance listening.

A lot of it depends on the way it's set up.... I have a small DSP chipped radio that's excellent on MW, and another that is good on MW but for DXing an external loop helps.

Both are very good on FM. Possibly made at the same factory that produces CCrane.

midwestsw

Thanks for responding, Boombox. The Witness arrived Saturday, in very nice, barely used, condition with all
of the accessories. I charged it up that evening, set the date and time and programmed a timer
to test out the recording. It kicked on and did exactly as programmed. Just like setting a DVR.
I checked my 4 or 5 favorite f.m. stations and it pulled them all in on the included f.m. antenna
that plugs into the headphone jack. (no reception without it). Of course, adjustments for placement
of the unit in the house was required to get them all. Not quite as good on a.m., but again,
position of it made the difference.
I then created a timer to record a Van Halen special starting at
6 a.m. from an f.m.station about 65 miles away. The recording quality is amazing, nice and clear,
it has 2 speakers, one on each side panel.
Has several fast forward and rewind speeds,and the audio is not muted, making it easy to get
back to my program through the commercials. It is an extremely cool little device. Haven't done
anything yet with the mp3 capabilities it has. There are a variety of set-up things You can do. I'd encourage
anyone, like me, that enjoys certain radio programs that You can't always catch to check one out.
Mine is the original Witness, the latest iteration is the Plus.

Status
Not open for further replies.