Yaesu: new Yaesu FT-4XR

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
It's listed here and probably other places.

https://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/ht/6004.html

Still has a segment display, and only 200 memories, no mention of zones/groups and likely won't support more than 6 alphanumeric characters... Sadly it looks like with the memory limitations, and the segment display, Yaesu is still living in the 90's.

It appears that they are now using Motorola 2 pin speaker/mic spacing. I am interested to know if it will be compatible with the CP-200d/CP-200/GP-300 Speaker mics.

I like the price though, Universal showing it at US$160.00. It will likely out perform most of the CCR garbage hams seem to be enthralled with these days.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
I like the price though, Universal showing it at US$160.00. It will likely out perform most of the CCR garbage hams seem to be enthralled with these days.
Cheaper than that!
zN9JQ.png

nd5y

Universal radio shows VHF transmit is just 2m but UHF says 400-480Mhz transmit, is that a typo?
Probably a typo or they reprinted whatever information they were sent.
I don't know of any Yaesu radios for the USA market that transmit beyond 430-450 MHz on 70 cm without modification.

FreqMeister

This model is very similar to the Yaesu FT-65R which is selling for the same price at the moment.
For $20 more, you can get the tried and true Yaesu FT-60R which has 800 more memories and has receiver coverage that extends to 999.999 MHz.

I am not sure what the advantage of the FT-4XR is in Yaesu's lineup.

It is a little weird Yaesu has 3 seemingly similar dual band analog HTs right now. But there are some significant differences. The FT-60R is significantly bigger, heavier, and uses ancient NiMh batteries that don't last nearly as long as Li-Ion especially in terms of charge cycles and are partly why the radio is bigger and heavier.

The FT-65R is designed to compete more against the Chinese radios as Yaesu's least expensive hand held. It appears the FT-4XR is intended mostly as a replacement for the aging FT-60R. It's unfortunate it doesn't have more memories and the extended receive. It's also unfortunate it doesn't have a better display but small segment displays are true of similarly priced radios from Icom, Kenwood, and Alinco. And while some of the cheap Chinese radios have dot matrix displays they mostly don't do much more with them.

Personally I wouldn't buy any of the above three. I think the FT-70DR is the sweet spot. It's roughly the same size and weight as the FT-65R and FT-4XR but adds Fusion digital and 1000 memories and can be found for $179. It also doesn't need a programming cable as it has native USB. Fusion is quickly growing in popularity with Fusion repeaters outnumbering DMR and D-Star in many areas. It's a pretty cool system letting you easily talk around the world without a lot of difficult setup with codeplugs, etc.

Yaesu is rumored to be revising many of their oldest radios mainly because it's becoming more difficult and expensive to source parts for them. They've done that with the FT-817ND and it appears they're doing it with the FT-60R. It wouldn't surprise me if they discontinue the FT-60R when the supplies are most gone.

KD2FIQ

I'm still pondering a new HT purchase. I am surprised there is no review yet on the FT-4XR. FreqMeister does raise an interesting point with the FT-70DR. Maybe something I consider. I was going to stick analog only but to go with the FT-70DR may be a better move.

spikebike

Use while plugged in?

My Yeasu FT-70DR won't charge while it's on. Pretty annoying if you are trying to use it from a car.

If someone buys the FT-4XR could they see if it will charge while in use?

KD2FIQ

I'll try this.....I think it should be able to work and charge at the same time.

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
It is a little weird Yaesu has 3 seemingly similar dual band analog HTs right now. But there are some significant differences. The FT-60R is significantly bigger, heavier, and uses ancient NiMh batteries that don't last nearly as long as Li-Ion especially in terms of charge cycles and are partly why the radio is bigger and heavier.

The FT-65R is designed to compete more against the Chinese radios as Yaesu's least expensive hand held. It appears the FT-4XR is intended mostly as a replacement for the aging FT-60R. It's unfortunate it doesn't have more memories and the extended receive. It's also unfortunate it doesn't have a better display but small segment displays are true of similarly priced radios from Icom, Kenwood, and Alinco. And while some of the cheap Chinese radios have dot matrix displays they mostly don't do much more with them.

Personally I wouldn't buy any of the above three. I think the FT-70DR is the sweet spot. It's roughly the same size and weight as the FT-65R and FT-4XR but adds Fusion digital and 1000 memories and can be found for $179. It also doesn't need a programming cable as it has native USB. Fusion is quickly growing in popularity with Fusion repeaters outnumbering DMR and D-Star in many areas. It's a pretty cool system letting you easily talk around the world without a lot of difficult setup with codeplugs, etc.

Yaesu is rumored to be revising many of their oldest radios mainly because it's becoming more difficult and expensive to source parts for them. They've done that with the FT-817ND and it appears they're doing it with the FT-60R. It wouldn't surprise me if they discontinue the FT-60R when the supplies are most gone.
And then there is the VX-6R, a small tri-band HH that is almost as old as the FT-60 (around 14 years) and costs more than all of the above radios.

Status
Not open for further replies.