Need help with a 396XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

lomcevoc

Hello, newbie to the site so I’ll apologize now if this is not posted in the right place. I bought this 396XT about 5 yrs ago, somehow I had it programmed ( can’t recall just how I went about it) but now when I go to use it after about 2 Years I don’t pick anything up but all the groups are still there with their frequencies,when I edit the groups I get a message “ Nothing to Scan” what am I missing or what did mess up? Should I just delete everything and start over? I live in Ohio, Sidney and want to monitor Shelby, Miami counties (fire,ens,police etc).
Thanks and sorry again if this is not the proper procedure.
Gregg

sounds like no Buttons are turn on for the groups to scan? i use a Laptop to do programming the 396XT so more easy i'm in cleveland and do a lot of scanners for people who buy them and don't know how to do the programming.

lomcevoc

It did scan and pick up for the first 2 years we used it then we got busy with life and didn’t use it. So can you tell me how to fix it, I want to understand how to program it. I just feel I am not utilizing its capabilities at this point.

aeneimia

When the 396xt shows me *Nothing To Scan* its because all the talk groups,sites, and conventional frequencies are all locked out. Use your top function key on the left side (press once) and then turn the knob on top. Press the L/O button on the face of the radio to unlock any groups or frequencies that are locked. L/O would show on the display if its locked.. If that don't work.. I would suggest downloading FreeScan software and reprogram the 396xt using the software and importing your programming from Radio Reference.. If its been a while since you last listened to your local systems, they may have been updated, upgraded to a digital system or have gone encrypted.. Your counties have several different systems..

FreeScan Software
Downloads - Sixspot Software

once loaded navigate up to File and select Import, then select either RR Conventional or Trunked (you may want to do them both).. log in and have at it!!

You will need your cable!

lomcevoc

I went through and performed the lo exercise. Is there a way to make those lo permanent, now if I turn it off and then back on it starts to rescan all the extra channels, ham,marine railroad etc.
I did download that software but as I got 1/2 way through it I figured I’d try one of the frequencies manually to upload it and got no results, frustrating...

lomcevoc

lockout permanent, press lo twice. you hear a double beep, there are locked out.where are you located? what county are you in?

Ohio, Shelby and Miami counties (I did remember to mention that in my opening post after reading the warnings to new members,lol)
Thanks

lomcevoc

They are all on the Ohio MARCS-IP system now. Download FreeScan and re-program your scanner.

Ok I’ve already done the download but what do I set differently in the software because I see it’s the same frequencies I already had in there, sorry it’s just my ignorance to what all these types and acronyms are and mean. I figured if it was the same frequencies it should still work...idk
Thanks for all you folks patients.

Status
Not open for further replies.