Unication

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheeseburgers

My wife purchased a G4 pager for me so that I could set that up specifically for CSP. I am excited to get it all set up...but was wondering before I tear into the box...anybody else using a g4/g5 in this way to listen to the CSP?

thanks!

N1GTL

Database Admin
Your question might be better asked in the Unication forum.

I have programmed those, though not for a trunked system, and even the basic programming is a nightmare.

Cheeseburgers

Hahahah, finally some honesty! I see all of these videos on YouTube about how amazing the G4/G5's are (and I am sure they are), but nobody gets into the nitty gritty of programing...well except of course the Unication guy but I sort of glossed over it and figured "I'll figure it out."

i spent a few months learning and working on a code plug for my G5 WAY before i got the pager so i would understand how the software works NOW very happy to own my G5

troymail

Silent Key
These appear to be the systems/activity you can listen to in your area with the G4/G5:

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=7196

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=5823

These systems might be monitorable in the near future (when the Phase 2 firmware is released - an option that is expected to cost up to $150):

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=9648

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=7623

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=8163

Happy to help if you need programming assistance.

Cheeseburgers

Thank you for the info! So you cannot program an individual site from the Smartzone system? I just read the RR wiki on MOT Smartzones and it makes sense as to why you can't seeing as there is quite a bit of stuff happening behind the scenes. I guess I'll hold onto the 536hp! Thanks for your help, everyone.

-stefan

troymail

Silent Key
Thank you for the info! So you cannot program an individual site from the Smartzone system? I just read the RR wiki on MOT Smartzones and it makes sense as to why you can't seeing as there is quite a bit of stuff happening behind the scenes. I guess I'll hold onto the 536hp! Thanks for your help, everyone.

-stefan

Trunked - must be a P25 (Phase 1 or Phase 2) system.

You can also do P25 or analog conventional....

To be clear - if what you want to monitor isn't a simulcast P25 system, you're better off sticking to a scanner for LOTS of reasons.

Firebuff66

Feed Provider
My wife purchased a G4 pager for me so that I could set that up specifically for CSP. I am excited to get it all set up...but was wondering before I tear into the box...anybody else using a g4/g5 in this way to listen to the CSP?

thanks!

Great choice, I have programmed a bunch of these and they are way better at listening to P25 systems than a scanner.
You can listen to the CSERN system, for CSP, Troops A.I & G, I have listened to those 3, not sure on the others yet.
I have programmed Waterbury and Stamford into the G4/G5 and they work much better than a scanner.
Everything has its pros & cons, Some applications a scanner is great, some the G4/G5 is great and some an actual radio is great, just depends on what you want to do.

Enjoy!

Cheeseburgers

Interesting... I wonder if I could just program the freqs for the H Site and the TGs that I want to listen to...do you think that that would work?

Firebuff66

Feed Provider
Interesting... I wonder if I could just program the freqs for the H Site and the TGs that I want to listen to...do you think that that would work?

If H is on the new CSERN system it will work, I know CT Transit is on it, so that could be a test

Firebuff66

Feed Provider
The CSP System is not P25. It is SmartZone with Digital Voice. An odd hybrid system.

You are correct, and its not odd 100s systems across the country run/ran this way and there are 3 in CT that ran/run this way..Bristol, Greenwich and CSP.

What we are disscusing here is listening to CSP on the CSERN system a new P25 system being built out.
You can currently listen to troop G, I & A on the P25 CSERN system on the Unication G4/G5.

As i said above im not sure if troop H is on it yet, but if you program in the hartford site for the P25 system that CT Transit has been using for quite a while you might get troop H.

Also the P25 Phase II upgrade is out for the unication G4/G5

Status
Not open for further replies.