clone

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
How do I clone two BCD325P2? The menu has a Wired Clone tab but what to do for the jumper wire.
I've never had a need to try it, but Wired Clone is an option in the menu for the 325P2. Select that option, then set each scanner to Master (the source) or Slave (scanner to receive the programming).

You would need a cable with mini-USB on both ends. Found this one; others show up if you Google it. Connect the cable to the two scanners, and set the clone options.

Frankly, though, I'd simply use software, such as FreeSCAN to 'read' your source radio, then write the configuration FreeSCAN got from the first scanner to the one to be programmed. That would also leave you with a backup file, just in case. Plus, once you've read the 'master' scanner to the software, then you could make any desired tweaks, such as modifying the opening screen text, before sending to the other unit.

The clone procedure is not listed in the 325's manual (at least not in the *.pdf version I have), but should be basically the same as listed for the 396XT. You can find that on the Easier to Read manual.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If you use a computer to read from one scanner then write to the other, you have a backup copy of the programming on the computer.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I think wired cloning is something carried over from days of old where computer programming of scanners was in its infancy (or even before).

Its easier now to do this as described above, rather than find the right cables and connectors to make the source scanner talk to the target.

From what I do remember when I did hard wire clone, it went pretty slow.

phask

Premium Subscriber
Yep, I think it's a leftover menu item that never was removed.

I think wired cloning is something carried over from days of old where computer programming of scanners was in its infancy (or even before).

Its easier now to do this as described above, rather than find the right cables and connectors to make the source scanner talk to the target.

From what I do remember when I did hard wire clone, it went pretty slow.

captncarp

well I like my scanners to not depend on puters. I like to keep them separate. I did a lot of cloning of 996xt's and they were fast enough that i did a lot of them (approx 12) while the owners waited,

phask

Premium Subscriber
Then you are out of luck.

Mark's easier to read manual has no mention of the word clone. The 325 manual states "PC Control/Clone - You can transfer data to and from your scanner or another scanner and your personal computer, and control the scanner using a computer using optional 3rd party software."

Page 8 and is the only mention of it.

well I like my scanners to not depend on puters. I like to keep them separate. I did a lot of cloning of 996xt's and they were fast enough that i did a lot of them (approx 12) while the owners waited,

Status
Not open for further replies.