Trucker needs help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jgunter2902

I'm new to this whole thing and it's a bit overwhelming. I purchased a two way radio and wondered if there is a way I can tap in to Colorado Dept of transportation? Specifically Weld county. I know they set up random stings to weigh and inspect truckers. It would be nice to have a heads up on their operation. Can anyone help?

Thanks, James.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
What radio do you have? If you have one of these little $50 Chinese radios like a Baofeng your out of luck.

They use the State of Colorado DTRS P25 Phase I trunked system. To use a two-way radio on a trunked system you would need an access code from the state system administrator which ain't going to happen.

A digital scanner would work best.

There is even a CB radio which will receive digital public safety communications and alert you of nearby transmissions.

Uniden BearTracker 885.

Last edited:

ScannerSK

I'm new to this whole thing and it's a bit overwhelming. I purchased a two way radio and wondered if there is a way I can tap in to Colorado Dept of transportation? Specifically Weld county. I know they set up random stings to weigh and inspect truckers. It would be nice to have a heads up on their operation. Can anyone help?

Thanks, James.

I wonder if they even mention on the radio where they will be located during these operations? I have never really monitored CDOT but if it's a sting they will likely keep the location secret and not mention it on the radio.

hill

Premium Subscriber
Going forward I think a scanner is prohibited in commercial vehicle. I drive a 26,000 truck under CDL size, but still required to enter weight stations. I have a handheld scanner with me, but mostly only use while stopped and the other times in safely tucked away.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Going forward I think a scanner is prohibited in commercial vehicle. I drive a 26,000 truck under CDL size, but still required to enter weight stations. I have a handheld scanner with me, but mostly only use while stopped and the other times in safely tucked away.

I have a CDL, and I've never heard that.
There are some states that have rules against scanners in vehicles, though. Doesn't just apply to commercial vehicles.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
I wonder if they even mention on the radio where they will be located during these operations?
I've heard CSP units call out that they are enroute to an operation location, or are on scene at a location, so they aren't really keeping the location secret. However, if you don't happen to be monitoring that particular talk group at that particular time, you're likely to miss where the units are posted. Most subsequent radio chatter from applicable units won't mention location usually.

You stand a better chance monitoring CB19.

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
Units identify as "MCS" - Motor Carrier Safety.

Sometimes they'll tell Dispatch where they are working but that's the only transmissions I've heard other than chicken coops reporting port runners.

MCS was real helpful when I wanted to report a belly-dump semi passing me on the right shoulder of E470. I had dashcam footage to give them.

That company recently was busted for stealing credit card numbers and using it to buy diesel for their fleet.

Status
Not open for further replies.