CO-DTRS - What changed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
So I noticed this morning that a lot of sites within the CO-DTRS have been updated, but the nature of those changes aren't really apparent. I've gone through some of them, compared them to what I have in my FL, and can't find any changes.

While I can just re-append the sites to my FL after the next Sentinel refresh, I'd rather not since I've tinkered with many of the ranges on those sites.

Would I as a paid subscriber get a more in depth description of the changes/updates rather than what I see now, ex: Changed Site # 001 (Arapahoe Admin (Denver Metro)) to 001 (Arapahoe Admin (Denver Metro))

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
A lot of under the hood changes that will not be apparent for most users. It includes things like site ranges, FCC licenses, and a couple of location changes.

It is part of a personal project I have been working on for a while to improve location-based scanning and database accuracy. My hope is that this will improve the database in order to make location-based scanning more viable in the state.

I used a similar process as the old coverage simulation maps that were made many years ago, and used Radio Mobile to simulate site coverage. It replaces the 25 mile default range that was assigned to basically every site in the state with something that is at least in the ballpark of their intended coverage area (as defined in the Database Administrator Handbook). There were large parts of rural Colorado that were not covered by any site in the state, and some of the ranges for the Denver Metro sites were excessive. Unfortunately the current method of using a generic circle is not perfect, especially with mountain top sites, so people might find themselves inside a site's range without being able to hear the site.

With today's update, that would make Zones 1, 3, 4, and 6 completed. I also have a pending update for FRCC, so expect to see changes there as well. I plan on doing MARC next, and Zone 2 (95 sites with more on the way) will follow whenever I get enough motivation to complete it.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
Gotcha! Thanks for all that work. GPS users such as myself and others not so comfortable tinkering with ranges and such will be very appreciative!

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
A lot of under the hood changes that will not be apparent for most users. It includes things like site ranges, FCC licenses, and a couple of location changes.

It is part of a personal project I have been working on for a while to improve location-based scanning and database accuracy. My hope is that this will improve the database in order to make location-based scanning more viable in the state.

I used a similar process as the old coverage simulation maps that were made many years ago, and used Radio Mobile to simulate site coverage. It replaces the 25 mile default range that was assigned to basically every site in the state with something that is at least in the ballpark of their intended coverage area (as defined in the Database Administrator Handbook). There were large parts of rural Colorado that were not covered by any site in the state, and some of the ranges for the Denver Metro sites were excessive. Unfortunately the current method of using a generic circle is not perfect, especially with mountain top sites, so people might find themselves inside a site's range without being able to hear the site.

With today's update, that would make Zones 1, 3, 4, and 6 completed. I also have a pending update for FRCC, so expect to see changes there as well. I plan on doing MARC next, and Zone 2 (95 sites with more on the way) will follow whenever I get enough motivation to complete it.
Many, many thanks for all your hard work. It is much appreciated! :cool:

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
Just FYI , Abajo In Utah on Zone 2 has very extensive coverage and can cover well into Utah well north of the "circle " that also covers Dove Creek area in Colorado.

In the northern Half , Mellen Hill, Cathedral Bluff and Vermillion covers Vernal Utah as well into Colorado, Rabbit valley also goes in to parts of Arches national park near Moab mostly Eastern Arches, open areas Facing East toward Colorado..

That's my 2 cents

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

PJH

Premium Subscriber
Just as a FYI as I have been buried in a bunch of submissions and haven't been in the fourms as much - we have an option to "Suppress" the timestamp of a change.

Its still in there, but it helps prevent a bunch of stuff turning green on the map or highlights.

As Spitfire says, its usually for minor edit, spelling corrections, etc. This way it usually avoids everyone asking what changed when it was something as stated.

Anything new/major etc will show up highlighted and in the change log. Some of the DB stuff isn't that descripted in the change log as well "Site 123 changed to Site 123" etc.

mjm2001

Aircraft Only Sites in the 700 mhm band

I noticed the update to the DTRS sites in Walsenburg and Pueblo with 700 mhz freqs for aircraft only. What aircraft will be using those freqs? Or what is the plan for those.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
Mostly medical helicopters and maybe some of the public safety aircraft that are operated by the State.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
I have no knowledge, but I am aware some state systems and regional systems that place specific sites up to handle just air assets - and the sites are optimized for
Aircraft.

Just FYI , Abajo In Utah on Zone 2 has very extensive coverage and can cover well into Utah well north of the "circle " that also covers Dove Creek area in Colorado.

In the northern Half , Mellen Hill, Cathedral Bluff and Vermillion covers Vernal Utah as well into Colorado, Rabbit valley also goes in to parts of Arches national park near Moab mostly Eastern Arches, open areas Facing East toward Colorado..

That's my 2 cents

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Another site I hear well beyond Colorado border is Julesburg, site 35. Get some decoding at the top of the hill off I 80 just east of Sutherland, Nebraska and solid voice traffic just past Paxton.

Status
Not open for further replies.