AAR Channels + NXDN

Status
Not open for further replies.

icomuser

Premium Subscriber
For those of us waiting for NXDN, it is interesting to note that in the Sentinel Software, the AAR Channels #307-487 which are AAR NXDN Channels now have the modulation listed as "Search", where I believe some time ago, they were listed as NFM. Now why would that change occur unless something was coming down the road that would require that change? Also, some individual railroad channels are listed as "search" for the modulation.
I remember last October or November when I wrote about not being able to pickup the Great Smoky Mountain Railroad in North Carolina because they were using NXDN, UPMan replied that "something was in the pipeline that would knock our socks off early next year." Could we be getting close?

troymail

Silent Key
For those of us waiting for NXDN, it is interesting to note that in the Sentinel Software, the AAR Channels #307-487 which are AAR NXDN Channels now have the modulation listed as "Search", where I believe some time ago, they were listed as NFM. Now why would that change occur unless something was coming down the road that would require that change? Also, some individual railroad channels are listed as "search" for the modulation.
I remember last October or November when I wrote about not being able to pickup the Great Smoky Mountain Railroad in North Carolina because they were using NXDN, UPMan replied that "something was in the pipeline that would knock our socks off early next year." Could we be getting close?

Conventional NXDN frequencies have been in the Uniden libraries for quite some time... I've always wondered why.

Do you see any NXDN trunk systems in Sentinel?

I doubt the addition of NXDN would knock anyone's socks off... sure, folks would be happy but not to that extent...

troymail

Silent Key
wanna bet :)

Sure... :)

A comment about "knocking user's socks off" would seem to be something that applies to a large audience than just those needing NXDN.... at least, I'd expect that to be the case... and it just doesn't seem that a NXDN solution would take this long (not to mention just in the time since that comment last year).

Last edited:

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
I wouldn't get your hopes up quite yet. Even if NXDN was just around the corner, it wouldn't require that the modulation be set to "Search" ahead of it's release. I think any changes within Sentinel needed for NXDN would either wait until the official announcement or be hidden to us, the end users.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
I agree with Troy. That comment was in the thread where someone had posted about seeing that new scanner (which was just a cgi rendering and UPMan said didn't resemble an actual unit...we'll see) so one would/could reason that the "something" that will "knock everyone's socks off" isn't just NXDN for existing models but a new model(s).

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
I still think if Uniden is going to do NXDN, they will do it where the scanner actually trunks a system, like DMR, which is why there could be a delay. Since Whistler already has NXDN modulation in their scanners, Uniden could just as easily firmware update the 436/536. This is my reasoning for Uniden coming up with true trunking.

troymail

Silent Key
I still think if Uniden is going to do NXDN, they will do it where the scanner actually trunks a system, like DMR, which is why there could be a delay. Since Whistler already has NXDN modulation in their scanners, Uniden could just as easily firmware update the 436/536. This is my reasoning for Uniden coming up with true trunking.

Seems to me that if they were going to do NXDN, it would be done by now. NXDN is much easier than DMR.

wbswetnam

Do you see any NXDN trunk systems in Sentinel?

On that theory, I looked for a known trunked NXDN system. One that I know of is Christian County, Kentucky public safety. Alas, it does not appear in Sentinel, only the conventional channels.

HogDriver

Premium Subscriber
It’s my understanding Whisler’s don’t do trunk tracking on NXDN very well. Is that true?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.