High Point Encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.

REVREID

high point police

wow-sad to see this .i like listening to them.just hope thomasville doesnt do the same. thanks for posting. i would have been wondering where they went

JTMax

Premium Subscriber
encryption

wow-sad to see this .i like listening to them.just hope thomasville doesnt do the same. thanks for posting. i would have been wondering where they went

This is all a bunch of city leader BS. They just don't want the public tax payers to hear anything. I would like to see the statistics that prove scanners have caused such gloom and doom to public safety. and yes, Thomasville is going to be encrypted too probably by next week or sooner. Maybe we can still enjoy listening to the trash collectors and water department.

REVREID

encryption

yes-nothing like hearing the dog catcher shoot it out with a rabid racoon.we,the innocent,always have to pay for the foolish. i never have heard of a police or ems call being interfered with by a scanner listener. all a bunch of nonsense

yardbird

Premium Subscriber
Just like I said before.

ANOTHER WAY TO SCREW THE HONEST MAN OUT OF A HOBBY.

Time for our law makers to draw up legislation like the anti-encryption law like Colorado has.

Or better yet somebody needs to come up with a device that will decode it.

A lot of BS A** kissing politics.

Sounds like to me that police that are wanting encryption are trying to hide something or doing something illegal themselves.

Maybe somebody with a lot of money and legal power will come up and bring a law suit against these police agencies or any other agency using

encryption.

I can see Vice, Bomb, and Hostage communications to be encrypted but routine patrols and normal stuff give me a break.

Like I said before just a way to screw the honest man out of a hobby.

Time to stand up and take a stand and contact your legislators and tell them about the Colorado Anti-Encryption bill and North Carolina needs

the same type of law.

Plus sounds like to me that the police departments that use encryption are possible getting a kick back for using it.

JUST A BUNCH OF POLITICAL BULL CRAP.

Just my thoughts

David

Last edited:

murrayustud

KI4DCR
Premium Subscriber
Well said, I agree, I hope this doesn't find it's way into the Triangle area....
Another issue is the media outlets won't have nearly as much news as a lot is via monitoring scanners and such, sad

reconrider8

Well said, I agree, I hope this doesn't find it's way into the Triangle area....
Another issue is the media outlets won't have nearly as much news as a lot is via monitoring scanners and such, sad

the media is just going to turn it to fit their agenda anyways

KG4KHQ

Premium Subscriber
High Point

Sounds like to me that police that are wanting encryption are trying to hide something or doing something illegal themselves.

I guess I need to begin by saying that I was a Telecommunicator for High Point for 21 years before retiring. In no way am I speaking for the police department or the city now, these are my thoughts on the subject.

I'm not crazy about the encryption myself but I also understand from working the other side why it is being done. This has been in the works for a couple of years and at no time was anything stated about hiding something or doing something illegal. The driving force behind this was and is officer safety. That has been the only thing mentioned from day one. Consider that there are devices other than scanners that receive Police radio traffic. You will have to read behind between the lines when I say other devices because of the rules of these forums. I am aware of a couple of incidents where such a device was involved in a potential threat to an officer's safety. One involved a traffic stop where there was a warrant on the driver and he heard about it on his device while the officer was in his vehicle.

I know this is a scanner-related site and I know this topic upsets a lot of people. In this case, to say that they are hiding something or doing something illegal is ludicrous because it means I was hiding something or doing something illegal also because I was on the radio too. I can't speak for why other agencies encrypt, they may do so because of what some of you have mentioned but I really think that most of them do so for the same that I mentioned in the paragraph above.

From reading other posts in these forums, I see that there are those who don't want to accept the officer safety issue. It appears to be easier to come up with the hiding/illegal argument than to understand what officers are really going through out there. Yes, they are expected to handle anything that comes up but I don't understand why someone would question something that would make things a little safer. There is more I could say about the other devices I mentioned but I'll let you all think about the impact they have had.

I get the argument that only certain channels should be encrypted but in reality, things are not so nice and neat. Sometimes, what ends up becoming a tactical incident will appear out of nowhere on the main dispatch channel and we can't just interrupt to tell the units to switch to an encrypted channel. Some of you may know what REGROUP is on a Motorola system but it's hard to switch several units at one time and you take the chance of cutting units off from each other while doing the switch. (In our case, we lost access to REGROUP in an upgrade so it was not something we could have done anyway.)

I also get the argument about scanner listeners being eyes and ears out there but in all honesty, I could probably count on one hand the times that came into play during my time there. I can see where this could come into play in a smaller area though.

As I said earlier, I'm not happy about this either because I was a scanner listener for years before I went into the profession. I was pretty upset when Wilmington went that way but I could still find other things to listen to down there. I know some you may still call BS on me for posting this but it does not change what is going on in hobby now and what will happen in the future. Someone in another post mentioned technology was catching up to public safety radio and that will continue to be the case. Before I retired, a lot of things were being handled by MDT and for something sensitive, we always had the officer call in by phone so there were a lot things not being broadcast anyway.

Flame if you must.

CFP387

This has been in the works for a couple of years...

Can you expound on this thought a little bit more?

If encrypting a talk group is as simple as selecting a radio button or a check box, there must have been some other reasoning as to why the subject was up for debate for "a couple of years" and not completed right away when a decision was made by Emergency Management.

I have mixed feelings about encryption. The Salisbury / Rowan system has several encrypted trunks that are used from time to time during sensitive situations that involve either a number of agencies working together or officer safety. A lot more of our PD traffic is over MDT as is other surrounding cities. I would rather the traffic be carried over MDT than the primary PD and LAW dispatch channels be encrypted.

Some counties and agencies have gone as far as to encrypt everything from fire and EMS to Animal Control and garbage collection. I do not agree with this decision and it's something that I hope Rowan County never does. I've been in the hobby for 30 years now and I'd hate the day my scanners go silent.

trumpetman

Database Admin
With modern radios and capable infrastructure it's NOW as simple as a change in programming. ADP does not work on Motorola Type II radio systems. Now that HPPD is on a true 9600 P25 radio system they can use ADP at very little cost and with a very simple change on the subscriber side programming.

If encrypting a talk group is as simple as selecting a radio button or a check box, there must have been some other reasoning as to why the subject was up for debate for "a couple of years" and not completed right away when a decision was made by Emergency Management.

I have mixed feelings about encryption. The Salisbury / Rowan system has several encrypted trunks that are used from time to time during sensitive situations that involve either a number of agencies working together or officer safety. A lot more of our PD traffic is over MDT as is other surrounding cities. I would rather the traffic be carried over MDT than the primary PD and LAW dispatch channels be encrypted.

Some counties and agencies have gone as far as to encrypt everything from fire and EMS to Animal Control and garbage collection. I do not agree with this decision and it's something that I hope Rowan County never does. I've been in the hobby for 30 years now and I'd hate the day my scanners go silent.

KG4KHQ

Premium Subscriber
High Point

When it was first brought up, we were on the old Type II system and it would have meant purchasing the encryption modules for the radios being used at that time (XTS3000 and then XTS5000). Then the upgrade to a pure P25 system was coming (like Salisbury-Rowan) and that was done first. Finally, APX models replaced the older radios.

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber

Yes and No. As far as programming, it is literally a few drop boxes in the codeplug and keyloading the radio (or typing in the key for software ADP).

Logistically it’s a big deal. Once the decision is made to encrypt, you have to decide on what algorithm is going to be used and assess what your existing radios have. In this case all the existing radios were near replacement and blanket encryption couldn’t be implemented until all the radios were replaced and ready. Then you have to consider agencies needing interoperability with HPPD who then have to upgrade and reprogram all their equipment. Like I said, it’s a big deal.

I put partial blame on the media running wild and fabricating facts that they don’t have to fulfill their agendas. Officer safety is another issue although I don’t think dispatch in general needs to be encrypted. If someone calls 911, the police are going to show up. You don’t need to listen to Dispatch to know that.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
That's a shame. Once a department encrypts, they don't go back.

The whole stance of moving to encrypt communications for "officer safety" is a load of baloney. These men and women are armed for crying out loud!

One involved a traffic stop where there was a warrant on the driver and he heard about it on his device while the officer was in his vehicle.

People with warrants are the type of people who know they have warrants out on them. Cops must always assume the person is wanted and use caution.

As for being crooked and that means you took offence since you think that means you were up to something. Remember there are TGs that dispatchers do not have access to. Those are the ones the crooked things will occur on.

My city went full encryption for all police and fire (with means all EMS since Fire runs the booboo bus). It saved me a bunch of money on upgrading and staying in the hobby.

SD70MAC

Another case of what going on in the world. We are loosing freedom every day one bite at a time. The far left calls this being a "Progressive Society ", it's really the beginnings of Communism.

BCasto

Premium Subscriber
Encryption is already in the Triangle. Cary Police switched to full encryption some time ago. I was a cop once, albeit many years ago. There were a few situations where the criminal types used mobile scanners to "map" patrol car locations. But we figured it out quickly and adjusted our operations.

It seems there are never real statistics used to justify an encryption decision. I have read many press releases on this subject. They most often talk about lessons learned following 911 and cite some scary but anecdotal stories about bad people using scanners and internet broadcasts to thwart police work.

I truly enjoy the hobby, perhaps being an example of the "once a cop, always a cop". I do get involved in local Public Safety initiatives and projects. I would never want to do anything (or not do anything) to jeopardize police officers or their work. It will be a sad day for me if / when more agencies in the Triangle encrypt.

Oh, BTW, I think the Colorado law is dead. https://www.denverpost.com/2018/01/...ll-their-radio-traffic-fails-sparking-debate/

Why can't we consider some more subtle changes? Why not make it illegal to interfere with Police using a scanner? Why not just stop the internet broadcast tools? And why only the police? EMS has access to HIPPA protected information.. As I talked about in another post here, the same issues are being debated about Police body cameras. Transparency is making that debate very interesting.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.