TRX-1: Creating system sites as separate scan lists

Status
Not open for further replies.

frazpo

I like to have my system sites in separate scan lists. I travel for work but within the realm of our statewide system. So that being said I monitor 3-4 different sites as I travel. One of the sites is close to home so I want them separate so just to scan what I need. Now I have this programmed but I want to know if I am doing it the long way or if this is bug in the software.

Currently I have to use "duplicate" option in the trunking area of EZ scan to get these programmed.

Correct if I am wrong but if you need to create separate scan lists for separate sites then you need to have multiple trunk systems loaded of the same system in EZscan. Also, if you have two of the same systems loaded and try to add TG to one of them it will not work correctly. Even after you choose the Scan list it may put those TG in one of the other Systems.

Really needing someone to chime in on programming multiple sites in separate Scan lists. I know others do it, I just want to confirm that I am not missing something. I may be taking to long road.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Thats typically how i have done it.
I will create a system with all of them and lots of area and statewide to scan.
Then create another system with just the site i know i will be close to, usually home or work, then add the talk groups that i will want to monitor and are on that site.
It is a bit of a pain but i feel in the long run it ensures my scanner is not scanning lots of sites it doesnt need, and its actually trying to lock onto the site closes to me at that time.

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
Yes if you want to do it that way then you'd need a trunk for each scanlist; however you don't necessary need to program all of the system information -- just the site that's needed. Then you'd create a wildcard entry (or add your TGIDs) and point it to the preferred scanlist value.

Any TGID updates would have be entered into the relevant systems. So yes you would have to have multiple copies of the same data for each scanlist.

I would suggest creating CSV text files so that you can update one sheet and then import that into each system as needed -- to make updating easier.

kc8tmv

I second your request! I duplicated my Ohio MARCS-IP system, containing 3 sites into 3 new “systems” and named each system a site name. Then I locked out 2 of the 3 sites in each new “system”, as I only want to pick up 1 site per system.
Managing new TGs and such is a pain. If I do a library import of new TGs it puts them only in the original system.
Thanks for submitting the question that has bugged me for a long time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

troymail

Silent Key
I am on a road trip right now and in an area where there are several "sites" for a state system around me. Simple importing of the system results in the radio finding and locking onto a single site but I want it to look at activity on all of the surrounding sites.

In my scenario, I just want to hear any talkgroup that is active - regardless of which site I am monitoring - along with wildards for talkgroups and private calls.

So, here is what I did (do):

Import the system - all talkgroups - but selecting only the 5 sites around me. This imports into scanlist 1.

I record everything so I set the recording attribute on all talkgroups and the radio ID wildcard.

I then go into the site listing for the imported system and lockout all but 1 site.

Next - I use the duplicate button and create a second copy of that imported system.

I then lockout all but the second site and assign all objects to scanlist 2

This process is repeated until I have 5 copies of the "system" - each with a single site enabled and all talkgroup/radio objects assigned to a different scanlist.

Now - I have the ability to selectively enable 1, 2 or all 5 sites - forcing the radio to check all enabled sites/control channels on each pass.

frazpo

OK., Thanks a lot for the responses. It was very helpful and it has made it easier to accomplish this. Sounds like the key is getting everything you need into the first system and duplicating and editing from there. Thanks again!

kc8tmv

Troy, I think you were the one to suggest this to me in the first place and I am "kind of" doing what you said, BUT what do you do if you want to import let's say 50 new TGs from the library. These only import into your ORIGINAL system, correct?

frazpo

Troy, I think you were the one to suggest this to me in the first place and I am "kind of" doing what you said, BUT what do you do if you want to import let's say 50 new TGs from the library. These only import into your ORIGINAL system, correct?

Ditto that question. Thanks for bringing that up again. Forgot to mention it.

troymail

Silent Key

Correct - doing imports from the library after doing the duplication will cause issues. If you find the need to import again after the duplication work, it's probably best to start fresh.

frazpo

I would suggest creating CSV text files so that you can update one sheet and then import that into each system as needed -- to make updating easier.

What would be the values of the CSV list? Or can you just export one from RR? It is really too bad you cannot export from EZscan. :( Then you could edit and import again.

frazpo

Correct - doing imports from the library after doing the duplication will cause issues. If you find the need to import again after the duplication work, it's probably best to start fresh.

This is what sent me for a loop. Thanks again.

kc8tmv

What would be the values of the CSV list? Or can you just export one from RR? It is really too bad you cannot export from EZscan. :( Then you could edit and import again.

EXACTLY what I have been saying. If you could export/import or direct edit the DB it would make me a very happy camper!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

norcalscan

Interoperating Spurious Emissions
Premium Subscriber
EXACTLY what I have been saying. If you could export/import or direct edit the DB it would make me a very happy camper!

It would make many of us advanced users very happy.

As for multi-site systems that's what I do as well, duplicate the Trunked system and then lockout the sites I don't want. I only need this when I travel around the state so I don't think I would have noticed the "bug" of a library import only importing the original system, that sucks. But just did it on a new large geographic system in California while mobile and simply turned on and off the systems as I traveled through the area, avoiding latching onto distant sites or sites with TG that are no longer relevant to my travels. Worked great.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I do the same thing as suggested by troy, duplicating trunk systems, and I use the numbering scan list system suggested by pinballwiz (?) so that I turn my scan lists off and on like channel banks with coordinated numbering. That works great for me.

As for traveling, and I do often, I have separate V-scan folders for where I visit - Nashville, LA, Austin, etc - and simply load them when I get to my hotel and there ya go. HOME is my go to V-scan folder when I get back to the farm, simply load it up and I am ready to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.